Chapter 4

Half an hour later I sat back in the car with Damien on the way to my parent’s house where I had been living ever since Celia moved out of our apartment which we had given up shortly thereafter. This way it was just cheaper, and the house was closer to the hospital as well.

I still couldn’t believe this would be my last day in Pittsburgh, at least for a while.

Damien had insisted on leaving today already and because my car was still at the park he had to drive me home so I could get the most important things like our documents and ID’s, the paperwork from the hospital, some money and clothes for the first few days.

We had moved out of the apartment weeks ago, but I still hadn’t unpacked everything because I had been so busy.

Damien had said that he would have someone bring all the other stuff to New York by next week.

Everything was happening so fast. I hadn’t even had time to think about everything yet. I needed to tell Celia and Derek, and my parents too!

What would they say if they came back in a couple of months and I would be gone?

I didn’t have time to worry any longer because we turned onto the road my parents’ house was on.

“This one.”, I said, and Damien parked the car across the street from the big white house. It wasn’t a mansion, but it was a nice house. It was my home.

Damien raised an eyebrow.

“Is that your house?”, he asked, and I shook my head. “No, it is my parent’s house. I couldn’t pay the rent for the apartment I lived in anymore, so I moved in here.

“And where are your parents? Why didn’t they help you out with the money?”

He sounded almost patronizing and I clenched my jaw, because of his tone, but also because this was one of the questions I had been afraid of. For a moment I didn’t say anything, then I sighed.

“They are on a world trip, in Italy right now, I think. They had been planning to go ever since they got married. They worked really hard for it, even when they had to help me with Charlie. They left a couple of weeks before Charlie got diagnosed.

It is good for them to be away from all of this. They deserve to be happy.”

Damien exhaled loudly.

“Are you saying that your parents don’t know about the brain tumor?”, he asked in disbelief and I shook my head with a blank expression on my face while I stared outside the window, avoiding Damien’s look.

“But you said your father was a doctor!” He stared at me like I was crazy and maybe I was.

But I had my reasons.