Ch. 24 - Heat

Song: Jesus in LA by Alec Benjamin
Words: 1330
Published: July 20th, 2020
Third Person POV

"Babe?" Harley asks again, his voice soft. "Why didn't you tell me?"

"I . . ." she stutters, slightly shaking. "I was scared."

Harley pulls Rayna into his chest, and they lay down on the bed together, cuddling. She takes a few deep breaths and calms down.

"What're you scared of?" he questions, cupping her face.

"O- Of you j- judging me," she whispers.

"Why? For what?"

"When I f- first shifted . . . e- everyone made f- f- fun of my wolf," Rayna explains. Harley holds her tighter, resting his chin on the top of her head.

"I will never judge you, baby," he assures her. She nods. "No one ever told you what you are?" he asks, a little bit confused. He pulls away slightly to look her in the eyes.

"M- My mom said th-that I'm the Dahlia Wolf," she tells him, burying her face in his chest and clutching his shirt.

"Do you know what that means?"

"Not really . . ."

"What about that book you've been reading? About the Flower Wolves?" Harley questions.

"Mhm?" Rayna hums as a question, almost as if asking 'what about it?'

"What have you learned from it?" he clarifies.

"Uhm . . . I've only gotten to the history chapter . . ." she mumbles, a little embarrassed. You would think for having had this book for so long and that much free time, she'd have gotten farther. That's what she thinks.

"That's okay, baby. Tell me what you've learned from it so far."

"Well . . . It all started not long after the beginning of werewolves. The Moon Goddesses daughter, Flora—the Goddess of Flowers—wanted to out her love into her mothers creation. The two talked, and they decided upon the existence of a Flower Wolf. Each generation, there would be a new flower wolf, with a new specific kind of flower. Oh, they have special powers, too."

"That's right, baby." He kisses the top of her head, making her smile. "Do you know what powers they have?"

She shakes her head no.

"I h- haven't g- gotten there yet."

"That's okay. You want me to tell you?"

"S- Sure," she says with a nod.

"Each Flower Wolf has a single unique power just for them, but every Flower Wolf shares the same five powers. First, there's 'second sight'. It's the ability to the see the truth through physical contact. Basically, if the Flower Wolf makes skin-to-skin contact with someone, they will be able to see any secrets they might be hiding."

"Ooh," Rayna hums. Harley continues.

"Secondly is clairvoyance. It's the ability to read people's minds. Thirdly, there's concilium, also known as mind control. Fourthly is resurgence. That it the ability to bring something that is dead—people, plants, animals—back to life. Lastly is terrakinesis, the ability to bend nature to your will."