Chapter Nine

"It seems it's my turn to wonder what we're doing."

Laura casts me a nervous smile but continues to tug me forward, offering no elaboration.

I was definitely a little skeptical when she asked to meet me later than we usually do. It's well past midnight and, though I had to pull a few strings to slip away, I managed. Now we are at a beach of all places. I think the rebel still exists in Laura because she snuck us in like a pro and I have to admit, I was impressed. And turned on, admittedly.

She stops close to the shore and takes my shoulder bag from me, dropping it on the sand. It has a change of clothes that she asked I bring and I suddenly put two and two together.

"Are we going for a swim?"

"Of sorts." She looks down, her flip-flops digging into the sand. "Remember when I first met you and explained I was only at your match because I didn't want to go with another option?"

"Skinny-dipping." I bite the inside of my cheek. Apparently I underestimated how much of her rebellious side still exists. "I'm surprised."

"But willing?" She offers a little grin, gesturing to the water. "I'm still too chicken but I thought it would be fun if we did it together. Another memory."

"Piling up on those?" I ask softly. My hands slide to cup her cheeks and gently tilt her face up. The look in her eyes is a little shy and a lot endearing.

"Yeah," She whispers. She links her fingers through mine. "Help me make another?"

I nod and lean down to capture her lips, pulling her closer when her arms go around my neck. I can't believe it's already been three months since I met her, since she showed up at my boxing match and spun me on my ass with a simple smile. She's not the only one collecting memories.

I reluctantly let her go when she pushes her palms against my chest and takes a couple of steps back. She faces the water and starts stripping, pulling off her short flowery dress in one smooth motion. My breath stalls in my lungs at the sight of her in just an underwear and bra. Her body is beautiful, so inviting, that I have to shove my hands in my pockets to stop myself from grabbing her. Laura notices me watching and even in the dark, I can see the way her cheeks darken in colour.

"Stop staring." She turns away and I chuckle under my breath, holding my hands up in surrender.

I give her my back and waste no time stripping. I'm a lot less shy than her so I don't really mind as I get rid of my shirt and jeans, kicking off my boxers without a second thought. It's late summer so the breeze is chilly but not unbearable. I glance over my shoulder at Laura, whose mouth is parted as she looks over my naked body.

"Now who's staring?" I tease and she jerks, clearing her throat and looking out at the water.

I decide to get it over with and do a little run into the water. The cold liquid prickles at my legs and I have to force myself to run in the rest of the way. It's like being stabbed with needles and I grunt, trying to get used to being submersed in the cold water when it rises up to my chin.

"Be careful," I warn Laura who's watching my reaction anxiously. "Colder than a motherfucker."

"Nice pep talk," She mumbles and I laugh despite myself. I bob around in the water and wait for her as she chews her thumb, still in her underwear.

"Come in already."

"Turn around! You're making me nervous."

I shake my head at her but turn, facing the water instead. The moonlight is sitting patiently above us in the dark sky and illuminating the water, making it appear white just ahead. Everything is so still and quiet, the only sound coming from the water pulsing around me whenever I move. I breathe in the cool air and let it fill my lungs. I think right here, in this moment, is the most peaceful I've felt my entire life.