⇢ CHAPTER 22

season 5 episode 24

Walking into Izzie's room with Dr

Walking into Izzie's room with Dr. Bailey the next day after Izzie's brain surgery, Holly took note of Meredith, Alex, Cristina, and George sleeping beside her. Holly tiptoed over to George as she adjusted the blanket on him and chuckled lightly at his new haircut.

After Izzie's surgery, George and Holly retreated to their apartment. George needed to pack a few things since he was going to Iraq in three days and Holly was planning on sleeping.

"Are you going to cut your hair?" Holly asked, sitting lightly on their bed as George packed random things.

"Yeah." George nodded, looking up at her with a smile, "Do you want to cut it?"

"Sure." Holly jumped up, "This is gonna be fun-- do you want a buzzcut or the full Izzie Stevens?"

George laughed, "Buzzcut, obviously."

Then, in a blink of an eye, George was sitting on a chair in the bathroom as Holly held the haircutting razor in her hand and ran the other hand through his hair, "Are you sure you want to cut off your hair?"

"I'm sure." George responded, and Holly nodded. Running her hand through his hair again, tears whelming up in her eyes and George turned around once he heard her sniffle, "Hey, hey, what's wrong?"

"I'm gonna miss your hair." Holly cried, "And you-- you're gonna be gone and I'm gonna miss turning the corner and not seeing you there."

"Holl," He grabbed the hand going through his hair and looked up at her, "I'll be back before you know it."

Dr. Bailey moved Izzie's small table and the noise woke up Alex, who rushed over to sit next to his wife as Bailey asked, "Any changes overnight?"

"No." Cristina answered, sighing as she woke herself up.

Alex held onto Izzie's hand as Meredith woke up and George, snoring himself awake, was also woken up by a pager beeping.

"Oh," Bailey looked down at her beeping pager, "it's the Chief. Somebody better make a coffee run. You all look like hell."

"I'll go get your coffees." Holly nodded and the group sighed in relief.

"Thanks, Kepner."

Holly walked with Derek as her phone rang and she sighed to herself knowing it was probably April calling her because Holly was invited to meet April's friends at her apartment. 

"Are you gonna answer that?" Derek asked Holly, a step away from entering Izzie's room since the blonde had finally woken up.

"Nah." Holly shook her head, "Let's go check on Iz."