Chapter 9

It's been a few days since my first book club meeting with Mr. Davis and there was now a calming change sweeping throughout my world. It was as if everything about Mr. Davis was more clear, I now can see that there was much more to him than life inside the Academy. Our relationship has been solidified since we both assured each other of our loyalty to it.

Another added bonus, I persuaded Mr. Patry to return my book so I can reread the second chapter for this weeks meeting. Now having a better understanding of the structure of the meetings, I think this week I'll create a list of topics to discuss with Mr. Davis. I think it'll be a clever way of disclosing more of his character traits without risking any fights or lectures. Somehow, in some can
unusual way, our meetings  were like a blissful journey into the mind of a thrilling stranger.

I started carrying my laundry back to my room when I was stopped by Sarah and Mackenzie who were standing near their doors in the hallway.

"Hey Naomi, are you going to come out tonight?" Mackenzie asked, motioning me towards her and Sarah.

"I hadn't planned on it."

"We're going to have a bonfire, just us and Jessie. You should come! It'll be a lot of fun." She assured me.

Students weren't usually allowed to have bonfires without an Administrator present unless you submitted a request, which was usually denied but it all depends on how well you've been doing so far. Jessie had the best record out of us so she had to have been the one to make the request.

I looked over at Sarah, who was awkwardly nodding her head in reassurance. I started to consider it; I love hanging out with Jessie and since it's Sunday the curfew would be expanded. I've been spending so much time with Mr. Davis, for better and worse reasons, that I swear I forget what the outside world looks like and what it feels like to have fun with people my own age.

"Yeah, sure. Why not? I'll be there."

"Sweet," Sarah said before turning back to her door. "we'll all meet in Jessie's room after dinner tonight. Bring any snacks you have."

"Got it." I nodded at Mackenzie before shuffling my laundry basket and returning to my room.

Completely energized , I started planning for a night out with the girls. The strange thing is how completely polarized everyone would be on the outside, a lot of the female students at the Academy are complete opposites of each other. Their paths surely would never cross one another, but in here we are united only by the common experiences we share - which often aren't pleasant but you have to make friends to survive in a place like this. Student conflicts only leads to trouble with the Administrators. Sometimes it's easy; it can be very comforting talking to someone who understands what you're going through everyday.

I pulled my pillowcase off my pillow to use as a bag and started stuffing it with granola bars, brownie bites, and my last few cans of iced tea that I got after the Easter party we had. I was dressed according to the Academy handbook so I'd definitely need to change after dinner. Pulling out my favorite pair of grey sweatpants that made me feel like a balloon and a light blue shirt, I took comfort in the fact that tonight would be a great relaxer.

___________________________________________________________________

"Mr. Davis?" I knocked on his door and peeked my head inside.