Chapter 24 - The Lies of Albus Dumbledore

Racing down the East Wing corridor, Asha suddenly found herself face to face with the gargoyle guarding the entrance to the Headmasters' Office.

"Cockroach Cluster!" she gasped between breaths. She hadn't expected the old password to work, but to her astonishment, the statue stepped aside. Without hesitation Asha leapt onto the ascending spiral staircase. A second later, she burst through the heavy office door, not even thinking to knock. She could hear Snape racing up the stairs behind her so she abandoned his wand on a spindly table near the door, before scanning the room and rounding on Dumbledore.

The headmaster was sitting behind his desk with his laced fingers resting in his lap. He looked as if he were asleep. Upon registering Asha's abrupt entry, his eyes snapped open and skimmed between his student and the wand she had just absently placed on the table behind her. His eyes darkened. As Asha stood clutching her side and panting, Dumbledore stood up calmly, though concern was underlying his features.

"Asha," he said pleasantly, "what has-"

Before the door had swung halfway close, Snape rushed into the office. He rapidly scanned the room, looking from Asha to Dumbledore, then from Asha's empty left hand to his discarded wand. He snatched it up. Before anyone else could open their mouth, the words that had been on Asha's lips for over three years burst forth.

"Professor, please," she said breathlessly, "there's something wrong with me!" She had attempted to control her tone, but a touch of desperation and despair still slipped into her voice.

Severus stood perfectly still, scrutinising Albus' every move. The old man's composure did not waver. Though as Asha spoke, Severus did not fail to notice the colour of the headmaster's face pale ever so slightly.

"Asha," Dumbledore said kindly, "please, have a seat and tell me-,"

"No!" said Asha, cutting him off, "You don't understand!" No one understands. Suddenly she was shaking again and it took all her willpower not to submit to tears. "Something is wrong with me." Her voice was rougher and lower than usual as she fought to maintain whatever composure she had left. She stared at Dumbledore, searching desperately for any signs of help in those stupid blue eyes. All she found was a distant expression. Was he even listening to her?! Then the words came tumbling out in a flow she couldn't stem: "I keep doing magic accidentally but it's like it's not an accident at all! I can't explain it. But I know it's wrong. You told me I was normal but I'm clearly not!" Asha's voice continued to grow in volume until she was shouting, "Professor, something is wrong with my head! My brain isn't working properly and my life doesn't make any sense! I feel like I'm dying! I'm-"

"Asha," Dumbledore said so sharply that she gave a jolt of fright. Asha froze. Her breathing was ragged and her hands were trembling. For a terrifying second, she thought she saw tears welling in the headmaster's eyes. But they disappeared in an instant and were replaced by the flickering of something she couldn't identify. Dumbledore did know something. Dread tightened around her chest making it hard to breathe. She was suddenly deeply wary of the old man. It felt as if she were facing a total stranger. She waited for him to speak, anxious that she might miss what he was about to say over the thundering of her heart. After a moment, the headmaster fixed his piercing gaze behind her.

"Professor Snape," he said, his voice having returned to its normal, friendly tone, "would you please excuse us?"

Snape's unrelenting eyes bore into Dumbledore's but before he had a chance to respond, Asha spoke up.

"No," she said curtly. Both Dumbledore and Snape looked at her sharply, though they masked their surprise.

"Asha, this is something that I believe would be best discussed in private," Dumbledore said. His voice was kind but had an unmistakable edge of finality. "Now, if you don't mind Severus-"