39. COMMITTED

39. COMMITTED

WHAT ARE WE?

WHAT ARE WE?

Aliyah never expected for three simple words to reroute her whole train of thought.

What are we?

The words play on repeat in her head as she tries to come up with a response. Everything she comes up with, however, she shoots down and tries to come up with another one. It's not even a hard question ━ it's just... complicated.

Not the relationship or whatever it is they have, but her feelings towards having a relationship or whatever with him.

As much as she tells herself that she's over what happened in her senior year of high school, some part of her ━ the most annoying part ━ tells her that she's not over it. That she's going to live her life in fear of having her heart broken by another person who starts out as good.

And Elijah West is good. He's the best.

And she likes him. So much.

But she liked Trevor too. And then, he cheated on her and she became celibate and then she hadn't had sex for ten years until she met Elijah Fucking West.

The man who takes time off work to bring her soup and saltfish fritters and his attention and his company and his ability to be good.

The man who's been there for her ever since they met.

The man who planned a dinner in the park for her.

The man who baked cookies with her to make her forget.

The man she's in love with.

Tears pool at her eyes as she replays that thought in her mind.

She is in love.

With Elijah West.

That same feeling that washed over her at the gala washes over her again as she turns to look at him. His jaw is clenched as he stares at the road.

"We should talk about this at the apartment," She whispers, closing the container of pineapples that she'd stolen from the party.

Elijah scoffs, craning his neck to glance out of the sideview mirror, "Of course." He says, sarcastically.

Her eyes flutter as she starts to feel the familiar emotion of guilt flood her core. She didn't mean to make him mad but the conversation would have to wait.