Chapter 65: In Your Arms...

"You killed him." The ambiguity of Miote's tone made it unclear if he meant it as a statement or a question. "Why?" That clarified things.

"Wrong question." Kashi stooped over the mayor's body as it returned to the circle. "It's not 'why did I kill him,' it's 'why should I not have killed him?'" He picked a master key and blueprint left behind as loot. "There was simply no reason not to."

"Not that it matters, but you did make a pledge," Miote retorted.

"Technically, I am the furthest thing from a knight," Kira scoffed. "That was going to be your answer, was it not?"

Kashi flashed a glare, which she glibly ignored. "Technically, I'm no knight," he ground out through clenched jaws and tried his best to ignore Kira's chuckle.

Miote watched the scene with fascination. There was not the slightest hint of guilt in the daeben's features, but at the same time, no justification either. This was because, to the daeben, killing the mayor was an action akin to crushing an ant. There was neither a need for guilt nor justification for such basic actions.

Kashi opened the blueprint and examined it. It was a blueprint of the mansion itself, detailing the structure and rooms in the house. It also revealed many hidden passages, storage rooms, and hideouts. Judging from the blueprint alone, the daeben knew the house would be a goldmine. Unfortunately, he did not have the luxury of time to fully explore.

Instead, he headed straight downstairs. He looked to the destroyed doorway and shook his head. Maybe he had overdone it. He led Drixlia by the reins to a nearby window, which he smashed open. The group jumped out the window then circled to the entrance, where they were greeted with a most intriguing sight.

Hektor rested against one of the fountains, battleax beside him. Blood-soaked hair fell around his face like a curtain, his eyes fixed on the splotches of blood that caked the earth. His foes vanquished with nary a scratch on him, the warrior awaited the return of his charge.

If it wasn't for the urgency of his mission, the daeben would have sat down right there to paint a portrait. Instead, he took a mental picture, then called out as he walked up to Hektor.

"Hey, how'd it go?"

Hektor grunted. "Barely a challenge." He frowned as a thought crossed his mind. "Was like I could see without seeing. Never felt anything like it before."

Miote's brow rose in question. What the heck did that even mean?

It was not the merchant's fault he could not comprehend the warrior's words. Afterall the phenomenon Hektor experienced was one only veteran fighters achieve after maximizing the use of all their senses. Unlike Kashi, who at least had [Dark Eyes], Hektor had fought blind throughout his stay in the canyon. To survive, he had unconsciously pushed every sense he had to their limits.

The result was a phenomenon similar to Mind's Eye but not as clear. Instead, it was closer to an advanced form of [Warrior's Instinct], where one could instinctively perceive movement. Thus the 'seeing without seeing.'

Kashi nodded and patted Hektor on the shoulder as he passed. He led the party to a bungalow at the back of the house. He used the master key to open the lock, then stepped aside, letting Hektor pull the doors open.

A burst of dust engulfed them as trapped air escaped all at once.

Kashi shielded his eyes from the dust as he approached the entrance. The wind died down, and he was finally free to really look into the building.

His eyes widened as magelights lit up the interior.

This was no storage room. This was a storage hall!