Chapter 14

Chapter 14

Ruby's POV

I walked into school on Monday with eyes on me from everywhere. I wondered why and thought about my fight. Maybe they went and saw.

While I was walking to first period, a group of guys checked me out shamelessly and I frowned.

I walked over to a group of girls and they all stopped their talking to stare at me like I was famous.

"Can one of you tell me why everyone's staring?" I asked impatiently.

One girl pulled out her phone in the speed of lightning and started to tap away quickly. The other's just stared in... awe?

The girl with the phone suddenly pushed the phone into my face and I stared at it.

Shit.

Those. Motherfucking. Reporters.

On the website that the girl was showing me, I saw a picture of me with my hands raised in victory. The caption read: First Timer Ruby Buchanan Breaks Record for Fastest Win in Age Rank in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

I looked at the website and saw that it was on one of the most famous newspaper and magazine article in the state.

"Shiiiiiit." I yelled and started to half fast walk, half jog around the school to find Ryder.

I saw him at the end of the hall with a short blonde wrapped around him, practically sucking the life out of his mouth.

"Ryder." I went over and before he could protest, I grabbed his arm and dragged him into a nearby janitor's closet.

"Whoa, slow down. I know that you want me, but in here? I was hoping somewhere more comfortable..."

I ignored his comment and started talking really fast. "One of the reporters posted a picture of me in the Pennsylvania Journal, Ryder. That's the most read article in the state. The fucking state Ryder!"

I started to shake so I grabbed a broomstick and broke it in half over my knee. I looked up to see a shocked expression on Ryder's face. I was breathing heavily.

I slumped to the ground with my head in my hands and my back to the wall. I felt my body shaking.

"Hey, hey," I heard Ryder's body slump to the ground beside mine. The next moment I felt a pair of arms wrap around me. I could smell Ryder's woodsy, fresh smell. Like comfort.

"Don't worry. We're all the way here and they're all the way across the country in Cali. I won't let them get to you, okay?" he said.

I nodded softly with my head on my knees. I let out shaky breaths and a tear fell onto my cheek.

"Hey," Ryder lifted my head up with a finger and held it in place, "look at me."

I slowly lifted my eyes to his and I breath caught in my throat, he was so close. So stinking close that if I moved my head up an inch, our lips would connect.

"I promise you I won't let them hurt you, okay? You're safe with me." Then he pulled me into an embrace and squeezed tight. I gave in and tucked my head into his shoulder, letting the tears fall slowly.

"No more competing, yeah?" he asked.

I nodded.

•••

The next couple of days were pure torture. I couldn't sleep, and could barely eat. Every noise I heard would make me paranoid. I didn't bother going to the gym, and Ryder has been forcing me to call him every time I go out somewhere, which isn't often.