6. Working the Case

"So, catch me up on the case

"So, catch me up on the case."

You're in Spencer's car, about twenty minutes out from the BAU. He had so graciously talked to your other professors, telling them he was taking you to on an "educational field trip." He'd walked you back to your room to change into something more...appropriate for meeting his team. You're pretty sure meeting Spencer's closest friends and coworkers dressed like a little schoolgirl will solidify them not taking you seriously. You had decided on a pair of jeans, a nice shirt, and a jacket.

The closer the two of you get to the BAU, the more nervous you get. If your hands sweat anymore than they already are, they'd leave prints on your jeans. Spencer has his eyes fixed on the road, one hand on the wheel, one on his thigh.

"The victims are all male, ages ranging from twenty-five to twenty-seven. All found in various parts of town, all within a few miles of each other. All strangled."

You tilt your head, narrowing your eyes. "Do you have case files and coroners reports on you, by chance?"

"Yeah, backseat."

You twist your body, reaching behind you to grab the stack of files in the backseat of Spencer's car. Despite Spencer being an absolute clean freak, his car is a mess. Empty food bags and to go coffee cups were littered in his backseat, along with a large bag and a jacket. You twist back around, readjusting in your seat.

"You know, those pictures are pretty graphic," Spencer warns, eyes flicking to you for a moment before settling back on the road.

You nod. "I know. Stuff like that doesn't bother me."

Flipping over the files, you scrunch your eyebrows together. "All strangled with rope."

Spencer nods, pursing his lips. "Yes."

You read over the reports, keeping your thoughts to yourself. You want to meet Spencer's team before voicing any opinions—a thought which makes you all the more nervous. What if you embarrass yourself in front of his friends? What if you point them in an even further direction than they're already at?

"Do you guys have any leads?" You ask, eyes browsing over the crime scene photos and victim history.

Spencer clicks his tongue, a sound you realize he only makes when he is annoyed. "We're holding a man—Adam Riley. We haven't found anything to pin on him, though." The look of confusion and concern on your face grabs Spencer's attention. "What is it?"

You shake your head. "I'll tell you when I tell everyone."

Spencer gives a half smile, his hand moving over to squeeze your knee. "I called Hotch—that's my boss, SSA Aaron Hotchner. He knows you're coming. Despite him being frustrated with me lately, he's grateful for fresh eyes."

You smile softly, biting your lip nervously. "What if I screw this up?"

Spencer pulls into a parking spot in front of the building, turning off the car. He turns to look at you, his eyes meeting yours. "You're nervous."