eleven

Beverly

"What? No! Mine was hilarious, how was it not chosen?" I exclaim, as Riley chooses Harry's card for Cards Against Humanity, the game that he brought. I take the last bite out of the Mongolian beef that we ordered, and set my fork down. We were all sitting on the floor surrounding the coffee table in the living room, eating and playing the game.

"Sorry Beverly, I'm just funnier." Harry smirks a cheeky smile and takes the card.

The night was going good so far. We all ate, played the game, and laughed. I was actually having a good time. The tense-ness diminished after Mel and Riley joined, and now we just sat, listening to music and arguing about which card was funniest.

"So Harry," Mel leans back onto the base of the couch. "Do you have any music coming out anytime soon?" She smiles eagerly.

"I'm in the process of writing a new album now." He says.

"Oh my gosh that's amazing! I can't wait!" Mel squeals. "I - I'm sorry I'm a big fan." She shyly giggles, tucking her hair behind her ear.

"Yeah, you're all she listens to." Riley laughs and I can see Harry beam with joy.

"That means a lot, thank you." He says.

"So do you ever listen to your own music?" Riley asks and we all laugh.

"Erm - not really, no. I think I enjoy it most when I'm performing. That's kind of when my music really comes to life. Performing my songs for the first time is absolutely incredible. That, coupled with the audience... no other feeling really." He explains in a way that's so thoughtful I just want to listen to him talk forever.

"That's amazing!" Mel squeals.

"Yeah, it is." I quietly add and I can see him glance over at me, his cheeks pinking so slightly that it would've been missed if I hadn't been looking at him already. Mel gets up and grabs Riley's plate to put in the sink, and I do the same. "Are you done?" I ask Harry, although his plate was clean.

"Yeah, you don't have to do that - " He begins to say but I just grab the plate anyways. "Thank you." He smiles and I nod and follow Mel.

"Okay he is so cute!" Mel whispers once we're in the kitchen. I glance over and see Harry and Riley conversing, their words barely audible. "I love him, Bev. Like how is this even real right now?" She laughs.

"Honestly, I ask myself that all the time." I admit, washing my hands.

"If you two don't end up together, I swear to god, Riley will be a single man." She jokes and I roll my eyes.

"You are so bad." I smirk. We make our way back into the living room.

"Riley, we should head out. It's getting kind of late." She says, and it takes everything in me not to yell right there. I knew she was doing this to leave Harry and I alone, as it wasn't even nine yet. What a lame excuse.

"It's only like, nine - " Riley begins but is cut off by Mel's glare. "Yeah, okay. I have things to do early tomorrow anyways." He sighs, pushing himself off the ground.

"It was so nice seeing you again, Harry." Mel gushes as they hug once more.

"Course. We'll do this again soon." He smiles, and I say good bye as they walk out the door. Once the door is closed, the tense-ness arises again, and I'm not exactly sure what to do or say. "I can go too if you're tired." He offers.

"No, I'm not. You can stay, but only if you want." I ramble and immediately feel embarassed. He clears his throat.

"Sure." We both smile at each other and sit back on the couch. "So how long have you known Melody?" He asks.