ni ju

There could be days when it would feel like time was passing too fast with an ominous future's footfalls rushing in

There could be days when it would feel like time was passing too fast with an ominous future's footfalls rushing in. Foreboding and bringing nothing but misery.

And there could be days when it would feel time was going slower than an old man walking down the road with arthritis. Excruciatingly painful, still, filled with misery.

Time was relative as per Einstein's theory and Yoongi knew better of it.

His nights would always go maddeningly slow, thoughts provoking his brain to keep him up. And when he'd close his eyes, it would go fast, a nagging feeling always present that he had to run. He had no scope to just sit, just breathe.

The earphones on Yoongi played fall out boy but he wasn't particularly listening to the music, nor was he really reading through his assignment. He wasn't eating too, he knew he had to because the lunch before him was getting cold. At that moment, Yoongi was dozing out, being in his own head space and being nowhere at the same time.

Yoongi really wanted some sleep. A little more of sleep, just a little more.

"Hyung, can I sit here?" Yoongi looked up to find a boyish grin, head filled with sweat, clad in a sports trouser and shoes. Jungkook sat before him with his tray, without hearing a response.

By then Yoongi had plucked out his earphones and focused on his papers instead, the metal chopsticks clanking against the bawls knocking on his ears.

Yoongi felt dizzy, the bustling cafeteria was filled with a cacophonous noise and even amidst that Yoongi could shove his tray aside and let his head rest until it wouldn't feel so heavy.

"I hope I'm not disturbing you." Jungkook's voice reached him again. "I always see you at this hour and you always look really busy, hyung."

Through half lidded eyes Yoongi looked up at the boy, filled with youth and saved from all the burden, just like the others around Jungkook's age.

"I like eating at the engineering cafeteria because there aren't many girls here." Jungkook gulped down some of the food, his voice an octave lower and then he stared up with his eyes doe. "Oh, sorry hyung. I'm disturbing you with my chitchat."

Yoongi only responded with a shaking of his head, even though his neck hurt. He was exhausted beyond point, drowsy and drained.

He had the tutoring job right after lunch and that thought was nagging him again, telling him to stay awake, stay present. Even though he could barely manage, even though he could feel himself drowning in an abyss with the weight in his shoulders pulling him down.

The figure he had seen the other night showed up in his hazy memory, a strange woman loitering outside the dorm, pacing back and forth. He wondered if he should ask Jungkook, since the only other dorm-mate he had seen since that day was the basketball major, sitting with him.