Chapter 20

Farren followed Gandalf and Aragorn into the stables. "He is only doing what he thinks is best for his people, Gimli. Helm's Deep has saved them in the past" she replied to the angry dwarf, but she wouldn't admit she agreed with the dwarf. The time for hiding was over.

"There is no way out of that ravine. Theoden is walking it a trap" Gandalf turned to Aragorn to speak to him.

"Go with Gandalf, Farren" Legolas urged her. Farren looked back at him like he was crazy. "You will be safer with Gandalf and the Rohirrim, if...if they do not arrive in time" Farren stepped back from the elf anger warming her words.

"I told you Legolas, I will not run anymore. These people need hope and people to look to. You have never held me back from a fight before, why now?"

"Circumstances change"

"Circumstances or your feelings, laddie?" Gimli jumped in looking equally confused.

Legolas shot the dwarf a withering look, but he ignored it. "Farren has proved herself a strong warrior, if she can fight a dragon and Azog she can take on some Uruk-hai". Farren thanked Gimli smiling at him before jumping out of the way of Gandalf as he mounted Shadowfax.

"Look to my coming, at the first light, on the fifth day" he yelled as he spurred Shadowfax onwards bolting out of the stables and through the streets. 

"The defences will hold Aragorn," Farren said.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Farren watched amused as Aragorn spoke to Eowyn who was holding a sword. She trailed a few people behind them in the convoy, her hand resting on Arod's neck. Her brother's eyes were searching as he spoke to the maiden. Farren saw herself in Eowyn's gaze, the fire of a warrior but bound to the halls of Rohan. She fell into step next to Aragorn as he turned away from the hall and then pulled his and Farren's horse into the convoy of refugees.

"She likes you" Farren commented lightly.

"I will not give her hope where there is none. I will not let her heart be held by a man that cannot love her back" Farren nodded at her brother before speeding up to walk with Legolas who smiled at her.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The convoy was slow and dull. Farren walked beside her brother again as Gimli sat on a pony guided by Eowyn. "It's true that you don't see many dwarf women and in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance that they're often mistaken for Dwarf men"

"It's the beards" Aragorn mouthed to Eowyn who smiled at him while Farren nodded in agreement.

"And this, in turn, has given rise to the belief that there are no dwarf women. That dwarfs just spring out of holes in the ground" Eowyn laughed with Gimli before she lost control of the horse causing it to bolt. Gimli tumbled backwards into the ground.

Farren jumped forwards, whistling to the scared horse and calling its name, it turned its head to her. In the background, she could faintly hear Gimli, "It's alright. It's alright. Nobody panic. It was deliberate". Farren's whole being was focused on the horse that slowly trotted back to her nudging her in a way that was almost teasing before rolling its eyes.

"Your friend has taken a liking to me" Legolas said as he came up to secure the horses' reins with Farren. On his should Conrad the Squirrel sat, nibbling on a nut he had found in the grass. "You certainly have a way with animals. Better than any human and far better than most elves that I have encountered" Farren shrugged to him. She handed the reins onto one of the men walking near them as the two of them began to wander ahead of the convoy to scout ahead. She glanced back at her brother who was lost in deep thought his face crestfallen, she knew he was thinking of Arwen. "We should make camp there" Legolas pointed to a flat plain a mile in the distance, it was large enough and surrounded by plains on all sides to ensure they would not be ambushed.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The next day, Farren and Legolas darted ahead, they had left Aragorn to the mercy of Eowyn's words and luckily none of her awful soup from the day before that even Gimli couldn't stomach.

"Something is coming" Legolas muttered, he had been quiet all morning scanning the horizon. Farren nodded in agreement, Conrad was curled around her shoulder his tails around her neck. She scratched his head lightly nodding at Legolas' words.

Two scout's road past them, the two of them watched warily, suddenly one of the horses screamed, rearing up. Farren darted forwards, as Conrad squeaked in her ear urging her forward. Horses as well disciplined as those of Rohan didn't scream at anything. Above them, Farren spotted a Warg jumping down towards them.

"Above you" she yelled, but she was too slow, the warg was upon them, tearing one of the men apart. Legolas' arrow killed it while Farren dispatched the rider. Aragorn looked up at them, she heard him run back towards the convoy yelling about the men.

Legolas bounded up the rocks to a vantage point while Farren scrambled up behind him, much less gracefully. "Stay with me" he murmured as a warg pack crested the hills, he raised his loaded bow smoothly.

"Don't miss" she replied turning around as she ran towards Aragorn who was galloping at them with Arod. She pulled herself onto the horse behind her brother as they rode into battle. Farren drew her sword from across her back as they collided, aiming for the orc's heads.

It was chaos. At some point, she was pulled off Arod, Aragorn yelled her name but she didn't reply to busy rolling to her feet to avoid getting trampled. She picked up a lance throwing it at a warg to add to the pile that was amassing on Gimli. She yelled an apology to the dwarf as she darted over him.

"Aragorn!" she screamed as she saw her brother being pulled by a warg towards the cliff edge, luckily, she was closer to the cliff. She pulled Legolas' knife from her belt throwing it at the orc rider, it gave an ugly scream toppling off the warg. Unfortunately for Farren, the lack of a rider didn't stop the warg from running at her. She tried to grab hold of Aragorn but she realised too late her brother was tangled in the reins.

"Farren no!" he yelled at her but the warg barrelled into her knocking her off the edge. Farren felt herself falling as if in slow motion, above her she could see Aragorn still flailing in the Wargs harness all three of them falling.

A hard thwack on her back and her head made her vision swim before cold water enclosed her body. The last thing she felt was ice cold water pulling her under.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N And this is what we call a literal cliff hanger...yep revision has got to me! 

Thank you so much for the support through votes and comments! We are almost at 3k reads! See you on Wednesday! 

Wren