Chapter 21

Farren opened her eyes blearily, she was aware that water surrounded her, its pressure was comforting as it clung to her. She was also vaguely aware that she was floating slightly, bobbing in the current of the steam, her head and shoulders laid on a sandy shore her body buffeted gently by the water. Her head pounded, she had no energy, not even enough to turn her head. So, she was content with staring up at the blue sky, dotted with wisps of white clouds.

Just as she felt her eyelids drooping a voice fluttered through the breeze, "Farren" a face appeared above her, clear blue eyes.

"Fili?" her voice was barely above a whisper, lost in the gently rustle of leaves or the sound of trickling water. The blonde dwarf smiled at her; his eyes still held their mischievous glint to them. Farren tried to raise her hand to touch his face but her limbs weren't responding to her commands. She focused on his eyes, but they were changing colour slightly, a clearer blue. Legolas' face replaced Fili's. But unlike Fili's calm demeanour Legolas' face was grief-ridden, his eyes looked lost and broken. He looked like he had aged years since she had last seen him.

Farren blinked hard feeling seemed to be returning to her body as the burning sensation of pain began to spread through her body and the water became colder. "You are fond of the elf" Legolas' face had once again become Fili's.

"He is a brother to me"

"Is he?" a sad smile crossed Fili's face. "Don't follow me, Farren. Live." Farren tried to speak again but the pain was building in her body as if she had scrapped all the skin off her back and arms. She heard a distant yell, but she focused on Fili's face.

"What do you mean?"

"You need to live Farren. People need you. People need their Queen" the dwarf rose backing away, Farren tried to move but moaned in pain as a figure threw themselves beside her body, this figure was definitely real as hands fluttered over her arms. Fili gave her a small smile as Aragorn's face filled her blurry vision. Conrad perched on his shoulder, squeaking as he scampered down his arm towards Farren's hip.

"Farren!" her brother's voice was distant,

"Fili" she murmured back deliriously. Farren felt hands curl around her knees and her shoulders. She groaned again as he lifted her up. She saw that he was covered in cuts and bruises like her.

"Hold on" Aragorn whispered to her as he pulled them onto Arod. The loyal horse had lain down to allow the siblings easy access to his saddle. Farren caught a glimpse of fresh blood smeared on Aragorn's hands. Her back must be bad she thought distantly.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Farren woke to Arod licking her face, she pushed herself into a sitting position wincing at the pain that ripple across her back. Conrad was tugging at the pouch Galadriel had given her. Looking over towards Aragorn her heart skipped a beat, her brother looked pale and worn. But what worried Farren was the slice across his stomach. Aragorn was bare-chested, makeshift bandages warped clumsily around his middle; his breathing was shallow. Farren knew that he must be hurt to administer to himself so clumsily. Arod let her lay a hand on his beck to help her hobble over to him, Conrad dragging the pouch across the ground to her. She thanked the two animals quietly as she unwrapped the bandage. Aragorn didn't wake, only winced in his unconscious state.

Tenderly she pulled leaves and herbs from the crushing them into a paste using water from her waterskin attached to Arod's saddlebag. She smeared it over her brothers' stomach, she smiled sadly at him, his muscled torse would have delighted Arwen, if only she had stayed in Middle Earth. Perhaps it was the curse of the siblings to never find love.