Part 5

"What are you doing?"

Luke could hear the soft voice coming from the back of the room but he didn't turn and he didn't respond. Instead he sat back leisurely against the leather sofa, staring at his glass which was less than a fifth full now. He held it at eye level, the amber liquid capturing the city lights coming in through the window. It was night but the city poised far in the distance still shimmered brightly and it could be seen even from his small corner of the world. It intrigued him- everything that could be happening, everything he didn't know about and just the same, it worried him. It was his job, after all, to know everything.

"What is so interesting in that glass that you've abandoned me?" The voiced purred again, this time a lot closer as a pair of long legs finally made an appearance next to him. Luke didn't look at her, he only leaned forward, placing his glass down on the table and leaning onto his elbows.

She stared for a second, thinking he looked stressed, thinking it must have to do with work and knowing she shouldn't ask. It was strange that she was still here. Luke, while a very passionate and affectionate lover, demanded a lot of space. He was usually pushing her out the door before she could finish getting dressed again, which she usually didn't mind. In fact, she was honestly glad to be out the door as soon as it was over. She prepared excuses, kept collections of them, reasons she could say that would allow her to leave without either of them having to face any kind of embarrassment. It wasn't that she didn't enjoy what they did together, Luke knew perfectly well how to get her blood flowing, but when they weren't doing what they did best... she was terrified.

Well, maybe that was exaggerating a bit but she couldn't help it. As it was, Luke was a cold and formidable man and it was only natural that people were intimidated but then... she stared at the glistening of the scars hovering over his shoulder. They were deep scars, rough to the touch, red and prominent against what should have been nothing but smooth, muscled skin. They matched the ones that sat on his otherwise handsome face and although it was easy enough to forget them when it was dark and he was touching her, she would be a liar if she didn't say she couldn't stand the sight of them in the light.

The truth was that she couldn't stand to be around him, not really. Even if Luke was a passionate and skilled lover, even if he did shower her with gifts and kept her in comfort well beyond her own means, Luke himself was too much to deal with. He was domineering, he was demanding, condescending and a bully. He expected everyone to do his bidding, at the drop of a hat, without any regard for anything or anyone. Like tonight- tonight she planned to go into the city with her friends. She'd managed to be invited to a very exclusive party for some of the upper crust socialites in the city and then... he'd messaged her. He didn't ask if she was busy, didn't ask if she could come over. He just demanded it.

and she obeyed. It wasn't worth the risk dealing with him angry. There was no sight to equal it- Luke angry was enough to bring her to very real tears. Not that she was his prisoner either. She knew she was with him because she was lucky to be. Realistically, Luke never took up much of her time. She didn't see him often, and when she did it was fleeting... and he really was an amazing lover. She closed her eyes and enjoyed the sensations he'd given her only a short while before.

She let out a sigh just thinking of it and Luke finally seemed to notice her.

"What are you still doing here?" he said with a deep frown that made him look much older than his 29 years. She watched him now as he stood, stretching his arms into the air before picking up his glass and walking towards the kitchen.

She stood, turning to watch him as she began to pick up bits and pieces of her clothes, dressing hastily. If it wasn't for his terrible temper, because he was the most rude and arrogant man she'd ever met, she might look past those scars. He was, after all, still so handsome and well built, and so incredibly rich and powerful. It had been said to her more than once, sometimes by her friends, other times by her sister, that she was the most beautiful woman in the family and possibly, the city.