Part 11

"I... Luke... I..." Echo tried to form a coherent sentence as she stared up at Luke, who now looked like he would tear her apart. He looked over her, making her remember just how powerless she was. 

"I've been very patient and very forgiving with you, Echo." He sneered. Echo was still, completely frozen in place. What had she done? What in the world had she been thinking? Still, she raised her chin, feeling like she was incapable of cowering before him. She had no idea what was going on in her own mind, she only knew that she could not, would not look away from him. What a ridiculous time to grow a back bone!

"Have you?" She said, feeling she would die at how easily the words slipped from her mouth. "Easy to be patient when all you do is bark out orders."

She watched as the scar on his cheek ticked. He was angry and for some reason she couldn't fathom, trying very hard to control his temper. 

"Tell me, Echo- if you were me, what would you do? Shall I tell you what I usually do in a situation like this?" He asked, his voice low. 

"If I were in your situation..." She managed to say, unable to understand where the words were coming from. "I would sit down and try to get some rest instead of running the risk of further hurting myself."

Luke sneered at her and her heart nearly stopped. She waited, her lips trembling... and then, just as quickly as he rose, he turned.

She watched, still holding her breath, as she moved back to the sofa, slowly taking a seat. They were silent for a moment, both entertaining themselves with idle movement. Echo wondered why he had let her get away with that... What would he have done? She looked over to him, watching his hands from beneath her lashes, wondering what type of damage hands like that could inflict. 

She'd been brave, much too brave but then again, something deep inside her told her that he would not hurt her.  She couldn't explain it, she just knew. 

"I'll change your bandage." She said, moving to the sink and pouring out some clean water. 

"I think they'll be fine." He said, looking to his arm. 

"They might be but why take the chance? We don't want to risk infection or your fever returning." She said, walking over to him. 

"I don't remember having a fever." He said, watching her. 

"You had one all night." She muttered, approaching him and beginning to cut through the bandage.  "Be still, I don't want to cut you by accident."

"How do you know I had one all night?" He asked. Echo was still, damn it. She didn't want him to know she'd spend the night watching over him. 

"I assumed." She said but he smiled. 

"You were watching me sleep." He said with some humor returning to his voice. Echo shook her head. 

"Look at you. I don't know how you manage to move around with all those bruises and your arm... there was also the rain, you were drenched. It's only natural to assume you had a fever." She said, trying to ignore him. 

"You watched me sleep. Admit it." He said.

"I did not." She insisted but he reached out, gently grabbing her by the chin and turning her face towards his. 

"Thank you." He said, liking the idea of Echo sitting over him. It was strange- moments before he'd felt like he might turn her over on his lap and spank her, shake her for daring to speak to him like that... for throwing that ridiculous plate and now... he couldn't help but be amused by her.

"Don't thank me. I just don't want a dead man on my conscience." She said, trying to convince herself that was the only reason she'd come back. 

"Or have to deal with the inconvenience of disposing of a body?" He said, teasing her.