Arkose

It was a peaceful day in Konoha. The birds were singing, people were talking and laughing, and the smell of freshly baked bread filled the air.

A shout shattered the calm.

On a less busy street stood two kunoichi, one strong enough to kill you with a thought, the other a girl in grey with short pink hair.

Pedestrians filed around them, casting them stern looks, and muttering darkly at the disturbance.

Sakura didn't care.

"What do you mean Toph-sensei's gone?!" She yelled.

Anko frowned harder, if that was possible. "I mean that she left the village last night. And that was after breaking Orochimaru out of prison and fighting our shinobi."

It felt like the whole world had started closing in on her. Sakura stumbled, then plopped down hard on a nearby bench. "There's no way."

Orochimaru had attacked them. He had almost bitten Sauske and had just about killed Naruto. There was just no way Toph-sensei would help him. Not now or in any universe.

Sakura cradled her head in her hands. The collar of her coat padded the heels of her hands, soft and almost silky. "...why?"

Anko sat down next to her. There was a streak of what looked like dried blood on the sleeve of her overcoat; who's was it?

"Look, kid," she said in her usual brusque manner. "I don't know. None of this makes any sense to me, either. I especially don't get why she would help someone she captured in the first place, but-"

"Toph-sensei's the one who took down Orochimaru?" Sakura was starting to feel slightly dizzy. "Are you kidding me?"

"Well, yeah, she did." Anko stretched back. "And I don't see why she would do this either, but it's not my place to say anything. The council has declared her an enemy of Konoha, and I decided to let you know prior to the public announcement."

"Why?" This time it was hardly a croak.

"Because more than a few petty people know that you were her student, and I thought you should have some time to prepare yourself before they come egging your house and gossiping about you in the streets." Anko rested a hand on her head. "You're a good kid. If you ever need to get away from it all, you're welcome to stay at my place. I promise not to bring any men home while you're there."

"Thank you," Sakura felt tears starting to well up. "I really appreciate that."

She knew just how horrible some civilians could be. She'd seen it in almost every aspect of Naruto's life, in every vicious word or action. If that's what awaited her simply for being Toph-sensei's student...

The Jonin stood up. "You're a tough little genin, and you have incredible potential. If anyone can find out what really happened that night, it's you. Good luck."

"May the ground be firm underneath your feet," Sakura muttered, almost without realising it. Toph would say that when they split up after a good day of training.

"And yours," Anko replied, then disappeared in a swirl of leaves.

Sakura sat there for almost half an hour, mind whirring and debating. There was no reason for Toph-sensei to do this. What would make her do it? Genjutsu? No, illusions wouldn't work on someone who couldn't... see.

She realised she was crying. Sakura rubbed at her eyes, trying to stifle the tears, but they just kept coming.

She stood and took off running.

Now, more than ever, she was glad that she had made up with Ino.

▪▪▪

Kakashi arrived home to a village in total chaos.