4

Sophie stumbled into her bedroom, feeling like she wanted to barf up her own stomach.

In less than ten minutes, she'd been sent on a mission halfway across the world to steal two artifacts from one of the most well guarded museums in the world, as a fourteen year old spy in training.

She hurried over to the spectral mirror on the back wall of her room and waited until a familiar face popped up.

The mirrors were also one of the most high tech inventions in the entire agency- it appeared as a typical reflective glass, but also doubled as a two-way Imparter screen. Vertina was the agency's costume and fashion specialist- and it was no surprise that she was basically Biana's idol.

"Did the Collective tell you yet?" Sophie asked, feeling impatient. "What are we getting?"

Vertina ducked out of camera view for a split second, then returned holding a few files. "You four will be posing as school kids on a field trip. I've got the uniforms and everything, so try to act as casual and normal as possible. When you start to head into the East Central part of the museum, near the geology section, you'll slip out through the B corridor."

A 3D display of the museum appeared on the screen. "This should be easy, as there's going to over two hundred high schoolers there. The Collective has given your friends some other instructions, which you can all go over when you guys regroup in a few minutes."

Sophie thanked the universe for her photographic memory- one of the most valuable skills as a spy -as she tried to focus on the information.

The blueprint disappeared and Vertina's face lit up the screen again. "Uniform's on the bed. Don't forget the tacky skirt!"

______________

"Ugh. This brings back memories," Sophie groaned, sliding into the car along with her friends. The uniform was probably the most uncomfortable thing she'd ever dared to put on- a stiff skirt and top, brown shoes, and a tie that was practically choking her.

Dex snorted. "I forgot- before you were a spy, you went to regular school, didn't you?"

"Unfortunately," Sophie grumbled.

Agent Della cleared her throat from the front seat and tilted the rear view mirror to look at them. "Everyone got everything ready? Gear? Cover-up stories memorized? Fake-personas nailed?"

Sophie mumbled her response.

"That's.... reassuring," Della told her. "We're here anyways. What do you guys think? Dance mom or soccer mom?"

"Dance mom!" Biana cheered happily.

Della winked and pulled up to the curb as the doors popped open. "Okay guys, have fun! Don't forget to call me if you get lost, and your lunch should be in your bags. Go smash this!"

"Mom!" Fitz groaned, feigning exasperation. "You can't 'smash' a field trip!"

"You can on my watch!" Della chirped. "Have fun guys!"

Sophie pretended to bury her face in her hands in humiliation, just like they'd practiced. 

Thankfully, it worked- the rest of the kids payed them no attention, and drifted of to their own respective cliques. Sophie bit her lip and tried to act as nonchalant as possible.

But the same four words wouldn't stop spinning in her mind, stirring up a whirlwind of thoughts.

Lodestar.

Criterion.

Nightfall.

Legacy.