Chapter 29: Something Horrible Has Happened

Chapter 29:
Something horrible has happened

"So then what happened?" Peyton asks through the phone.

"He left. Just like that," I finish explaining today's events to my friend.

After leaving El and Sam to go change, I decided to not even go back to the party. Not after what happened with Colton. At some point, while taking a shower to scrub off the chlorine, I felt a bit nauseas thinking about the kiss and how Tristan saw it. It feels like I have betrayed Tristan, as if I cheated on him, even though I technically did nothing wrong since we're not together.

"Well clearly he's still in love with you," she states as a matter of fact. "It's only natural that he ends up jealous."

I roll my eyes at that, but I secretly feel triumphant at the thought of him still being in love with me. "I'm not sure about the 'in love' part–"

"Oh please," I hear her scoff. "You guys have been in love since day one. You just fail to see how deep your connection really is–"

"I'm afraid that 'connection'–," I air quote the word, regardless of how she cannot see me. "–is fading."

"I doubt it," she argues further. "Nothing can separate you two, not even that cottage guy, I mean Clinton–"

"Colton," I correct her.

"Whatever, same thing," she brushes it off. "He's too irrelevant for me to remember his name."

"I'm offended for him," I laugh, not even feeling the slightest bit of offense for Colton.

"Nobody cares. Besides we all know the person you want to end up with. And I don't even know the reason you guys broke up in the first place."

My breath hitches as I remember the source of the matter. I never explained it to my friends, obviously not wanting to involve extra parties in the predicament, and so I gave none of them the real reason:

My stupidity.

One thing I hate is that all this drama has kept me from the prize: making Luther pay for sort of ruining my life. Ever since I moved here, I haven't been keeping myself up to date with his whereabouts or calculating his next location and moves. I need to know when he'll strike again or else he might attack when I'm not ready.

"Hailey!" I flinch at the sharp sound which almost bursts my eardrum and I am reminded that I'm still on a phone call.

"What?!" I ask with an irritated tone.

"Are you okay?"

"Yeah, I'm fine," I say plainly. "I need to go by the way. We'll talk later again." I end the call without waiting for her response.

Okay, that was a bit rude.

"Hailey," I hear a knock on the door and I stand up from my bed to walk to the door.

"What?" I open the door in such a manner that the person can only see my face because I haven't put on clothes since showering, only my undergarments and a towel.

"May I come in? It's really urgent," Chase's voice is filled with panic and urgency, worrying me on the spot.

"Hold on," I shut the door and rush to my closet to find something to wear. I pull out white denim shorts and a black oversized shirt, and I put them on hurriedly, before opening the door again for Chase to enter.

"What's happening?" I cut to the chase.

"Something horrible has happened," he says frantically, pacing around my room with a hand constantly running through his locks. "Something really, really horrible —"