Pierce

Pierce stepped off of the pegasus, grabbing the large bag of money he was told to carry.

He was wearing a leather coat that was rather uncomfortable and limiting to his movements.

"How much is in here?" he asked.

They had flown back to Faegris with money to see if they could buy the thieves into working with them.

"Around ten thousand silver coins." Alice was adjusting the saddle on her pegasus.

"That much?" Pierce gasped. fifty thousand silver coins was considered enough to be half a life's work of earnings.

"This feels wrong..." Claire had a sad look in her face. "They already said no, and we're coming back with money."

Claire stepped into the hut and opened the trapdoor.

"Khai? Caitlyn? Chelsea?" she called.

There was no response.

Claire looked back to Pierce.

"Are they not there?" Pierce asked.

"No..."

Just then, an older man was walked by, noticing they were looking under the trapdoors.

The man stopped.

"Do you know about the... thieves?" he asked.

"Uh... yes. We came here to see them."

"They have been silent for some time... they're staying at their homes, not here."

The man pointed across the village.

"They should be on the opposite side of the town. Their house has a green roof. It should be easy to find it."

"Thank you."

They climbed back on the pegasus and flew up, and quickly spotted a building with a green top.

They landed near it and knocked on the door.

Caitlyn opened the door.

"Oh! Give me a second." Caitlyn turned around to call for the others.

Khai quickly emerged from the door.

"Oh. Come in, it's cold outside."

"I'll be waiting outside." Alice pointed back to her horse.

Pierce followed Claire into the house.

It was a small building, messy with papers and a weird layout of furniture.

It was rather cozy.

"I'll go make some tea," Caitlyn said as she hurried to a back room. They all settled down at a table.

Pierce set the bag on the table and Caitlyn seemed not to notice it, regardless of its size and sound.

There was silence for a few minutes.

Pierce could hear warm drinks being poured into small clay cups coming from somewhere in the back of the building.

Caitlyn returned with the tea, and he set down the plate of cups.

Claire spoke up, breaking the silence.

"We... came back to see if we could maybe pay you to join us... we understand if you still say no."

"We understand... and... Chelsea has said she wants to help you guys. To avenge... Cole."

"Avenge...?" Claire asked.

"We were planning on leaving tomorrow to get to the Endeavor's command post. That being said, it would've taken a few days."

"I see." Claire said.

Pierce stared across him at a wall.

They decided to join the Endeavors after all.

Why have I been fighting against these people?

Why am I spying on them, watching their every move?

They're just normal people wanting to live normal lives without being in danger.

Vaequilians had killed their best friend, and now they want to avenge them.

Is that really so wrong?

Does strength really make right?

Am I happy with what I am doing for the Miseia?

"I want to destroy the bastards that took our friend." Chelsea whispered.

Is following Altina really... right?

They're supposed to be my enemy...

yet...

I want to protect them.

Claire,

Sara,

Troy,

Arlo.

I want to make sure nothing happens to them.

Even though they never knew me, they treated me as one of their own.

I'll do everything I can to keep them safe.