Chapter 2

**** Yeon-Woo is now Caelina but will be referred to as Celine as a nickname*****

There was a small pavilion hidden within the marble palace. One could only discover this pavilion by crossing an arched bridge that stretched from Caelina's residence to the east wing of the palace. Not many people came to this secluded area since it was too close to the east wing of the palace where the previous concubine from Krastia had been brutally murdered. This was the Krastian garden that the Emperor has gifted her.

Hibiscus and sakura flowers bloomed in the warm, spring air around the pavilion. This was a Japanese style botanical garden, and the only spot in the entire palace complex that grew East Asian flowers and trees, which gave Yeon-Woo a sense of comfort and nostalgia. Not only did she care for these gardens, but she often reminisced memories from her past lover. Her lover had loved hibiscus flowers. Now, he was gone and she would never see him again. She had also left her single mother alone in that world. She couldn't bare to imagine what her mother's reaction would have been.  Although she dearly missed her husband and mother, Yeon-woo could only clutch the hibiscus flowers close to her heart and cherish her memories.

Her new reality was cruel. Yeon-Woo was placed into a different time period with the knowledge of her impending death. This world was unfamiliar, and Yeon-Woo'd mental health gradually deteriorated. Yeon-Woo's once lively  soul ceased to exist, and her emotions turned  numb and grim.

***

Caelina sat near the shaded area of the arched bridged and watched the river flow peacefully. She looked almost celestial in her white dress, with silvery hair swaying in the wind as she peered down at the river to see her own reflection. A set of purple and golden colored eyes stared back at her. They seemed to be sparkling..

I really am ethereal, impossibly perfect, flawless. I'm more beautiful than Song Hye Kyo, she thought. She was in awe of her small face, perfect nose, rosy lips, and flushed cheeks.

She felt a surge of pride and satisfaction as she realized that she truly would grow up to be the most beautiful woman in the empire. It was truly a wonderful feeling. She almost forgot the pain of the past and the foreboding future when she peered at her own reflection.

"Celine!"

A tiny boy with ruffled, blonde hair called Caelina by a familiar nickname. She turned around and saw the Crown Prince, Laith. Although this little boy was merely 6 years old, the gold color from his cat-like shaped eyes shined brightly, and his blonde hair almost seemed to be translucent under the sun. He resembled a baby lion bathing underneath the sun. Laith and Caelina both appeared to be otherworldly beings when they were side by side. She often wondered why Laith and her were the only ones with distinct characteristics. The tutors told her it was because they were blessed by the gods themselves, but it genetically did not make sense to her.

Their unique features were  unsettling especially since humans should not have purple and golden eyes, let alone silver hair.

Ever since they were introduced to one another, he was immediately sent to her palace everyday as a playmate. At first, Caelina was wary, or at least as wary as a 5 year old could be, but Laith was far from her expectations. He was warm and pure. They got along quite well and he even became attached to her. Now, she couldn't even imagine how this bubbly child could coldly abandon her in the future.

Although Laith kept her company, he was also her only friend. Her father still hadn't paid her a visit, and she truly didn't care. Even the Emperor Michaelis I was a terrible father, although Laith also didn't seem to mind his father's absence. Since she had Laith and his persistent visits, she was never too lonely. It was probably the same for Laith.

Perhaps the original Caelina was an evil person because she received no parental guidance or love. Living in luxury and being treated as a princess could essentially produce a spoiled and arrogant adult too.

Caelina was also living in a different Universe altogether. These lands were similar to middle eastern art and history, but the countries had different names. Emperor Michaelis I ruled over the Zionitte Empire that stretched from Zax to Nour, which was the capital she was currently living in. Basically, the Emperor ruled over all of the middle eastern lands. They owned major trade routes and was even considered the wealthiest empire due to their textiles and spices.

What was even more shocking to Caelina were the supernatural beings that existed in this world. Next to her shadow, she could see a smaller shadow outlining a figure of another being. Sometimes this shadow hid in her shadows and disappeared from everyone's sight. The tutor had told her that this extra shadow was her familiar and it would give her strength. Only royal family members and certain nobles had familiars, which made Caelina extremely lucky to have one. Caelina's familiar was a golden Koi fish. As soon as the royal court officials and citizens discovered that her familiar was a fish, they started to look down on her and deemed her as a worthless beauty with the weakest familiar in history. There hadn't been a single person in history who had a fish as a familiar.

The Emperor had also laughed in his booming voice and remarked, "As expected of a woman, but since Laith is a lion, he will protect you."

Caelina ignored their criticism and insults, for she knew what her familiar was capable of.
She also avoided conflict since women were treated differently and could easily be killed and discarded without punishment. Therefore, she always masked her face so no one could see her distorted face. She also created a pure and innocent facade with the Emperor and Crown Prince out of fear. Therefore, Caelina was always on guard and alert. She never let her true colors show.

With an innocent smile Laith asked Caelina, "What are you doing here?"

Laith followed her gaze and saw their clear reflections from the river. They stood side by side and observed their angelic forms staring back at them. They wore matching, loose-fitted white garments, and the folds of the silky fabrics flowed elegantly against the wind while the tall, marble palace stood behind them.

How majestic, she thought.

"We must be blinding to others when we're together," Caelina said nonchalantly.

Laith blinked and tilted his head as if he didn't understand, then smiled and took her hand.

"Let's play!"

****

After chasing each other around for a long time, Laith became tired more quickly than usual. His eyes seemed droopy and he looked like a sad puppy.

Caelina paused and held his hand. "What's wrong?"

Laith widened his eyes, then he looked down at their entangled hands and smiled shyly.

"I found out that I have a little brother. He's three years old."

He's born already? So he's only 2 years younger than me?

Caelina froze and stood still. Her face was blank but her head was clouded with anxious thoughts.

".... have you met him yet?"

Laith shook his head. "Father won't let me, he's in the east wing of the palace."

"..."

The east wing of the palace was coined as the abandoned, cold palace. Caelina felt pity towards this newborn prince who also seemed to be an abandoned child. She had to visit the second prince as soon as possible and befriend him.

"Maybe he can play with us later on."

Laith never replied and looked as if he was holding something back. Then he changed the topic and they chatted over something else.