6:5 | Ruthanne ✦ sorry

Darker than Blanc
6th life| Carissimi
©Emika_3206

[6:5] — Ruthanne ✦ sorry

"Arcadius ran away from home." Her father suddenly said, as he flipped through the newspaper. Ruthanne choked on her morning coffee, before gaping at her seemingly disinterested father.

"He —what?!" Why would he do that? When he just met his soulmate!

"Eklid really did raise a stupid boy," Father said, while rubbing his temples. Arcadius had always been a trouble maker, but he wasn't all bad. "You should probably read this dear." He handed her the newspaper.

He probably intended for her to read the news article about a rising terrorist group, but her eyes immediately skimmed to the feature about Lady Lora's Temple in Vrumery.

.... ....
"Ruthanne, will you marry me?"

Even as he asked her that, his brown eyes were gleaming with hurt and unshed tears. Maybe if love wasn't dictated by markings on your arm, if love wasn't written before they were even born then maybe Ruthanne would have ended up with someone like Rousseau. Someone normal and someone she knows would treat her right. She could see a future with him where they'll have a loving home and bright children.

But even then...

Wouldn't they just be fooling themselves?

She knows how affected he is by his soulmate. He knows how she is longing for her soulmate.

It's just sad that if they were to take the easy road, it could have been them together.

Ruthanne smiled sadly at her dear friend.  Was meeting your soulmate really that hurtful? She wanted to ask Rousseau. Hurtful enough to even ask another woman's hand for marriage..

"Rosseu, I apologize," She shook her head, as she held her dear friend's hand. Looking back, she might regret rejecting such a great man. On the other hand, she might also thank herself for rejecting him at this moment. If she ends up with him then they would just be fooling themselves, chaining themselves to each other and being too polite to leave. She wouldn't want a future like that with him.

"I... I decided to offer myself at Lady Lora's temple." She started slowly. "so .... I... cannot marry you."

"You're doing that, for your soulmate right?" Rousseau asked in a light tone. "I respect your decision then. But my friend, don't lose yourself... trying to find your soulmate alright? "

She nodded her head, as they both silently stared at the setting sun, a soft feeling of mutual understanding settling over them.

Well, she's not going crazy. She trusts Lady Lora's perfect timing.