TWENTY ONE

unedited

TWENTY ONE

TWENTY ONE. FAMILY TIES

"I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY THEY THINK I CAN FORGIVE HIM," SPENCER SCOFFED, PACING BACK AND FORTH OUTSIDE OF THE HOTEL. Daisy watched, allowing the doctor to ramble. After Garcia had dug though his father's computer to find nothing dodgy except a folder dedicated to the young man, Spencer had once again grown frustrated. "I mean, all he did was google me."

"Spencer," Daisy began, crossing her arms. "You have this image of your father that you've created in your head to spare yourself from further trauma, and I assume you know this."

Spencer nodded. 

"And I'm well aware how hard it can be for kids to grow up without a parental figure," she continued. She had slipped into her therapy voice, though she didn't want to make it too obvious considering how touchy Spencer was at he moment. "I'm not excusing his actions in any way, but I need you to remember that he is still a person. He kept tabs on you because he needed a way to convince himself that he could still be part of your life in his own way."

"You don't understand!" Spencer interrupted, clearly angry. Daisy didn't react; she knew it wasn't personal. "Daisy, you don't know what it's like, okay? All I got was a note and crappy explanation. He doesn't care about me, he never has. If he did, he would have visited in the last twenty years."

"I didn't say he was a good person," she muttered. And she did understand. She did know what it was like. But it wasn't about her at the moment. "But if he is a suspect, you need to treat him like one. Don't bring your personal bias into it, because it's not going to help at all. No one is asking you to forgive him-"

"Why did they tell me all that stuff back there then?" Spencer pointed to the hotel, referencing the call they had just gotten from the BAU. 

"Because they want you to be happy," Daisy replied with ease. "Do you think any of us like to see you hurting like this?"

Spencer fell silent. 

Daisy took a step forward. "You're not your dad, Spencer. You are nothing like the man who left you. And all these walls you've built up? They're only going to hurt you more if you don't start letting people in."

Spencer looked down at his feet and sighed. He then smiled to himself, as if amused. Daisy knew it was because he didn't want to show how he really felt. She couldn't judge, she was the same. "You know, one day we're gonna sit down and talk about your childhood trauma instead."

Daisy chuckled, linking their arms together. "Today is not that day, Doctor Reid."

★☆

Two hours later, Daisy sat outside a hypnotist's office with Derek at her side. Rossi accompanied Spencer in the room, being the most capable of handling emotional distress. Daisy was worried about Spencer, which was why she still insisted on being there.