Chapter 126

Jenna had stopped blinking as she reached for the doorknob, her other hand holding firmly onto her wand, ready to attack whoever was outside or at least defend herself.

       But then she screamed and jumped out of her skin when she heard a bark behind her.

       Turning around abruptly, she saw a large and shaggy black dog, wiggling his tail as he stood a few steps behind her in the parlor.

        "Sirius! You brainless git!" Jenna yelled angrily and gritted her teeth together as she watched him transform back to his human form, laughing.

       "Missed me, Jenny?" he said with a handsome grin.

       When Jenna started to quickly pace toward him, for a split second he thought she was going to jump into his arms and hug him.

      But he yelped when Jenna sprang forward and started hitting him on the arm. "You — stupid — ARSE!" she yelled between each punch.

       "Ow! Ow! Stop!" Sirius said, grabbing a hold on both of her wrists before smiling. "This is not a way to treat your lovely boyfriend who you haven't seen in a long time."

        "First of all, it hasn't even been three days!" said Jenna, jerking away from Sirius and glaring up at him. "And second, what on earth are you doing here at this hour of the night!? It's not almost one!"

       "I couldn't fall asleep." He shrugged casually, placing his hands in his jeans' pockets.

       "So you thought you should come up here and scare me to death?"

       "Yup."

        Jenna glared at him. "How did you even get in?"

        "Back door was open," he answered. "You know, this is not how I pictured our reunion."

       "Oh? And how did you picture it?" She folded her arms. "That I would jump into your arms and kiss you and tell you how much I missed you?"

        "More or less." Sirius grinned. "Although in my version, we we weren't doing much talking —"

       "What were you thinking!?" Jenna snapped at him. "I could've hexed you!"

       "You know, your mother would've been more supportive! She said I could visit any time I wanted!"

        "Not at one o'clock!"

        Sirius then chuckled. "Anyways... I know James is staying at Lily's tonight. But where are your parents?"

       "They're out, working late tonight," Jenna explained, letting out a sigh as she felt slightly calmer.

        "Wait, so you're all alone?" He asked rather worriedly. "What if someone came after you? It's not safe to stay alone."

        "Which is why I almost had a heart attack when I saw you pass outside the house!"

        "Well, you could've come and stayed with me for tonight," said Sirius, a hint of a smirk playing at the edge of his lips.

        "Honestly, I think Dad would rather I faced a Death Eater than spend the night with you," she said jokingly, chuckling.

       "Ouch," Sirius said with a smile. "So what were you doing up?"

       "Thinking." Jenna shrugged, making her way over the couch as Sirius followed her and they sat down.

        "About what?" Sirius asked with a mischievous glimmer in his eyes.

       "Nothing dirty, I assure you."

        "Too bad."

        Jenna shook her head at him in disbelief, but Sirius then went forward and caught her off guard when he suddenly brought her into a hug.

       Jenna smiled to herself as she felt her heart warm up and so wrapped her arms around him, nuzzling her face into his chest.

        "So how come you couldn't sleep?" she whispered as she was still in his arms, staring into the beautifully lit fireplace.

        "I missed you," he said softly.

       Jenna pulled slightly away, giving him a look.

        "What? Don't you believe me?" Sirius raised an amused brow at her. "Just because I don't show it, doesn't mean I don't have any emotions, Jenny."

        "I didn't say that," she said in a small voice, placing her head back on his chest, listening to his calm heartbeat as he stroke her long blue hair.

      A relaxing silence reigned the hall, no sound being heard other than their own breathings and the music of the cracking fire before them.

      "Okay, fine. There was another reason why I couldn't sleep," Sirius finally said, breaking the silence.

       Jenna chuckled. "What?"

       "Well... I've been thinking... er... this mission that you said Dumbledore has set you... how long will it take?"

        Jenna raised her head from his chest to look up at him, but didn't move away from his embrace as they remained on the couch.

        "For as long as I can manage," she answered feebly.

        "When will you be leaving?"

        "I — I really don't know."

      "At least can you tell me what it is that Dumbledore wants from you?"

      Jenna threw her gaze down to avoid his eyes. "He asked me not to tell anyone about it."

       Sirius huffed, pulling his arms away from her, looking annoyed as he stared away into the fireplace, gritting his teeth together.

       "Oh C'mon, don't be like that," Jenna said sadly, moving closer to him again and running a hand through his black hair. "I'm sure you would've done the same if it were you. If me going away means that I can somehow help this war to get over with sooner... then I would gladly take the risk."

       "Look, Jenna," Sirius started firmly, turning to look at her, "I hadn't seen you for three days and I was going crazy. I had to come here and see you tonight. How do you think I'd feel if something happened to you?"

       "You don't understand," Jenna looked away once more before whispering, "Some things are worth dying for."

       She awaited Sirius to say something. To try to talk her out of it. But instead, with worried eyes, he placed a strand of her hair behind her ear silently. For a split second, Jenna thought she had seen tears in his eyes.

She opened her mouth to say something, but Sirius broke her off when he put his hand on her cheek and then leaned forward, pressing his lips against hers, kissing her like this was their last time.