Chapter 149

At those words, everyone's eyes widened and the room fell silent, all looking between Fred and I.

       "You what!?" Sirius said hoarsely with a frown.

       "You what?" Fred asked, turning to look at me with a grin.

        "Yes! Well done! I knew you'd finally break her!" George said with a happy laugh, clapping a hand behind Fred's shoulder. "Thank Merlin. I was starting to get bored around the house."

      "Your house is above a joke shop," said Ron, "how can you even get bored?"

      "Woah, woah, woah! Hold your Hippogriffs!" said Sirius, shaking his hand at us impatiently. "Who said you could go live with him?"

       "Er... I did?" I said sheepishly, smiling.

       "You're still in school!" Sirius tried to reason.

       "Actually, I'm not going back," I said, but seeing their bewildered expressions, I quickly went on, "as soon as the Ministry and Hogwarts fall into Voldemort's hand — which we all know will happen eventually — they will hunt down Muggleborns. I can't return."

       "W-well that doesn't give you a reason to move in with a guy!"

      "Why not?" I said with an amused chuckle.

      "Because — because —" Sirius struggled to search for words, but he finally turned to Mrs. Weasley for support. "Molly? Little help?"

       "I — well —" Mrs. Weasley started hesitantly, "she's nearly of age now —"

       "What!? You're siding with them!?" Sirius said in horror, meanwhile Fred and I only grinned. "We — we must be more responsible! What would her parents say!?"

       "Probably nothing," Fred shrugged with a little smirk, "seeing as they're pretty occupied with Lexi's four-year-old version at the moment."

       "Oh come on, Padfoot. Don't be such a Hypocrite," Lupin started with a smile. "You out of all people should know that it's all right if they want to move in together once they're both of age. In case you have forgotten, you've been like that when you were their age."

        "That's exactly what worries me!"

       We all chuckled and Lupin went on. "Not all guys are like you, Sirius. Besides, you can't blame them for wanting this. They're both adults now — or at least, one of them nearly is, and even though the other doesn't act like an adult, he's still one."

"Thanks, mate," said Fred, the sarcasm obvious in his voice.

       "I — well — ugh! Fine!" Sirius finally huffed in defeat. "But only after you're seventeen!"

        "Only in a few weeks, then." Fred shrugged with a grin, leaning in and placing a gentle kiss on my temple.

       Sirius shook his head at us before turning around to engaged Mr. Weasley in a conversation.

       I looked at Lupin and mouthed a small 'thank you' and in return he winked at me.

      "Oh, this is awesome!" George said to us after everybody else had busied themselves again. "It will be just the three of us! Gred, Forge, and Professor Snappy!"

***

Throughout the next weeks, I found my mind wandering more often. I still felt startled about finding out who Kathrine was, and more so, what she had figured out.

     Although I reminded myself that if she had paid attention to what she had seen in my mind, she would've realize that she shouldn't meddle with time and learn from my mistakes, and therefore not tell anyone anything.

     It was the day of my birthday when I woke up to someone shaking me by my arm gently as he softly called my voice. I was staying in Fred and George's old room for the time I was staying at the Burrow before moving in with the twins.

       "No..." I groaned, pulling the covers over my head to block out the light.

       "C'mon, Lex, you don't want to miss the day of your seventeenth birthday when you can finally help George and I prank Ron using magic!"

       I chuckled at Fred's voice as he pulled the blanket off my face. I tried to slowly open my eyes against the sunlight which was beaming through the room.

"No!" I suddenly said when he then moved forward to kiss me on the lips and I raised the covers up to cover my mouth.

"What? Afraid to catch my cooties?" said Fred jokingly.

"No, it's the morning breath, you idiot!" I said and he rolled his eyes.

"Oh, don't be ridiculous!" he said with a laugh, trying to lower the cover, but I immediately sank down lower into the bed and covered my whole head with the blanket.

"You know, you should be nicer to me on moving day," he said and at those words, my head shot up, smiling.

"I'm sure when Sirius said I could come live with you once I turned seventeen, he didn't expect me to move in the same day," I said with a giggle as I sat up, leaning my back against the bed's headboard.

"True." He chuckled. "I still don't get why he acts so protective, though. It's not like he's your dad or anything."

"Well, he said I remind him of my mum, and apparently he used to feel too brotherly toward her." I scoffed in disbelief, rolling my eyes. "Which I think is complete rubbish, by the way. As Lupin said, Sirius probably had his way with the ladies back in the days and now he thinks everyone's like himself. So he's just scared of what my dad would say if I ended up pregnant."

I chuckled but at those words, I saw Fred go suddenly pale as his eyes widened in shock.

"It was a joke, Fred," I said as I looked up at his pallid face and bewildered expression.

"Y-yeah, I get the joke. Haha," he let out a forced laughter, nervously getting to his feet. "It's — it's funny — because you have to do the thing to get pregnant — but we haven't done the thing..."

I laughed. "Fred, are you all right?"

"S-sure, why wouldn't I be?" He scoffed, slowly backing out toward the room's door. "It was just a joke. And it was funny. I — I'll wait for you downstairs."

By that, Fred left me alone in the room, closing the door behind him. I sat there on my bed for long seconds, frowning to myself in confusion.

What the hell just happened?