47. Enough

"Eyes can't
shine,

unless there's something

burning
bright

behind.

~ One Direction

At exactly ten, Scarlett halted outside the door to Ace's office holding a bouquet of dahlias, her fingers poised to turn the knob and walk in

At exactly ten, Scarlett halted outside the door to Ace's office holding a bouquet of dahlias, her fingers poised to turn the knob and walk in. She turned her head to look at Gretchen, who was watching her.

"Power," Gretchen mouthed, exaggeratedly.

Scarlett rolled her eyes and knocked twice, huffing.

"Yes?" she heard Ace call.

She opened the door and stepped inside.

Ace looked up and an expression of confusion overtook his face when he saw her. "Since when do you knock?" he asked.

Her mouth dropped open as she walked towards him. "I knock," she said.

"Things off my desk before you sit on it, sure," Ace said, leaning back in his chair.

Scarlett groaned. "I got the flowers," she said, holding the bouquet out to him.

"Good," Ace said, logging off of his laptop, shutting it and getting up, "You can hold on to it."

He closed the files on his desk and began walking towards the door. "Come on," he told her, "We haven't got all day."

Scarlett stood, rooted to the spot. "You want me to come with you?"

Ace put his hand on the door knob and turned to her. "I think I explicitly said just that," he said. He opened the door, "Shall we?" he asked, gesturing to the outside.

Scarlett walked across the office and towards Ace slowly, surveying his expression.

It was unreadable as usual.

"Where are we going?" she asked, softly.

Ace's eyes looked like they were reading her thoughts. "Somewhere important, Sky," he said, in a whisper.

Scarlett's heart raced.

She knew he would take her to where he goes every month with his bouquet of dahlias, but she didn't know where that was.

Throughout the drive, the destination of which Scarlett did not know, she tried to figure out what it was.

Ace looked over at her and smiled. "You'll hurt yourself," he said, looking at the expression of concentration on her face. "Just relax."

Scarlett made a face at him, but was quiet as they drove away from the city.

On the outskirts of town, when building became shorter and wider and gardens became bigger, they pulled in through large, majestic wrought iron gates, over which stood a happy sign: 'Shady Oaks Nursing and Retirement Home'.