Ch 29 ~ Matters of the Heart

The sun has completely set in the sky, its orange glow slowly beginning to fade on the horizon when I get back to my rooms, provisions for at least a three-week journey packaged tightly in my hands. There was no one in the kitchens, as I had anticipated, though finding suitable food for a long trip was harder than I expected it to be. Anything I had traveled here with is already packed with Asfaloth, who waits patiently in the stables. I only have to wait for the right time to sneak out now.

Absentmindedly twisting the end of my blonde braid around a finger, I quickly scan the room to make sure I am not forgetting anything. I didn't arrive in the Woodland Realm with much, so packing wasn't a challenging task. I wear the only clothes I brought with me, my training leathers, with my various weapons strapped onto either myself or Asfaloth, and my silver circlet sits encircling my head. I came with nothing else. All the gowns that were lent to me for my visit are neatly hung back up in the armoire in the corner of the room, the silk slippers meant for formal evenings tucked away with them. The only object in my room that I had not been able to neatly fold away was a deep green blanket decorated with golden embroidery. It was the only object that I didn't originally come about in my room, so I left it sitting on my bed, waiting for the cleaning maids to come and pick it up.

Varissë, my personal ladies maid, comes bustling into the room, a tray of hot tea in her hands.

"Some warm tea for your journey, my lady," she says in a light voice, a kind smile on her slender face.

Varissë had been the only one I had told of my journey, needing her help to get me out of the palace unnoticed. She was skeptical of it at first, but eventually agreed to help.

Setting the tray on a low table in the room, she adds, "It's a shame you can't stay a little while longer."

I hum in agreement, giving her a small smile of thanks.

I would have liked to stay for longer, to learn more about the Silvan folk and maybe even participate in their Feast of Starlight that would be celebrated in three week's time.

But my family came first. I must do what I can to help. And perhaps I would have the opportunity to return to Mirkwood, to see and experience everything I had planned to. Although, after leaving so unceremoniously tonight, I doubt King Thranduil would want to welcome me back anytime soon.

Sending Varissë off to go eat her dinner, I walk into the sitting room of my chambers and collapse into a plush armchair. All that was left to do now was wait for nightfall. I didn't want to sneak off like a thief in the night, but I knew the king would never let me leave. Not against my father's wishes.

As I sit in my chair, thoughts swirling around in my head, I hear a light knock against my door. Brow furrowed in confusion I call, 'Come in', to whoever waits in the hall. Perhaps Varissë had forgotten something and had returned to pick it up.

But it is not my maid who enters my rooms. Rather, as the door open, my confused stare is met by the blue-eyed gaze of the Woodland Prince.

"Legolas, isn't it a little late for the Prince to be visiting a lady's room?" I drawl from where I sit, a mask of boredom on my face as I silently pray that he fails to notice my vacated room through the open door to his left.

Shutting the door behind him, he drops into a seat across from me, giving me a lazy grin.

"Last I checked, a Prince is free to do what he wants," he retorts smoothly.

I scoff, rolling my eyes. "And last I checked, that is the excuse Prince's give when they're doing something they shouldn't be doing."

He chuckles, kicking his booted feet up over the armrest of his chair and giving me a wink.