Storm Bending

katara and aang spent the next few days training but i only watched them from afar, cheering them on when they needed it.

but that day i didn't.

i wanted to try and get into the spirit world again.

and try not to drown this time.

i sat in the hut, meditating again.

i tried my best to block out everything, but i heard the water again.

'raava please' i whispered, feeling myself fall into the spirit world.

but when i opened my eyes, i wasn't drowning.

i was in the same room as before.

but this time i was only with roku.

'hello y/n' he said, smiling.

'hi roku' i grinned.

i felt someone appear behind me.

i turned, but no one was there.

'roku wh-' i began, but when i turned around he was there.

instead, i was facing raava.

i looked up at her and bowed.

'stand up y/n' she said, and i did, 'im here to help you. aang is in danger - i can feel it. and you need to help him'

'but how?' i cried, falling to the floor, 'you saw how easily i was captured - i couldn't even help him them!'

'y/n you will be able to.' said raava, bringing me back up, 'i will bestow an ancient element upon you - the element after which you are named.'

'stormbending'

i remembered being taught about it when i was younger - about how the lion turtle city had fallen in on itself as the people grew greedy.

stormbending was not safe - it drove all those people mad and turned them against themselves.

i remembered its powers.

it was a unique amalgamation of each element.

it used a harmonious mix of all four to create a storm.

in times of need, a storm bender would use each element and infuse them into a cloud up above, raining chaos down below while they fought.

and they could heal. which i was excited to do.

but it didn't outweigh why i didn't want to storm bend.

because i was terrified even more by what happened to its users.

they tore themselves out of existence, going mad with the power they were able to possess.

legend goes, they murdered their lion turtle for no other reason than that they believed it would grant them more power.

but it just broke them.

a civil war erupted and they ripped themselves out of the world - a disease of the mind, created by the people.

i knew it was my destiny to hold this power.

but it wasn't my wish.

---

i was terrified.

'but why now?' i said, backing away.

'you are ready. and you have us to guide you' said a voice from behind me.

i turned and this time aqila, diu, ichika and all the old reincarnations of the avatar were there.

'you will have to master the art quickly' said raava, 'but it won't take long: you're a quick learner.'