Why is he nice to me?

This is Cove, but you can picture her as whoever.

Cove's POV
Now you may be wondering why its such a bad thing that River is talking to me. Let me explain.

As you probably know, River is our school "bad guy." He is very quiet and keeps to himself. If he does talk, its probably to tell someone to move out of "his spot," or to intimidate the new freshmen. He likes people to know where they stand, which is below him.

So when he talks, its not a good thing. Ever.

He's also very violent, he gets in a lot of fights but never gets in trouble for them since his family is very rich. For that reason, you want to limit your encounters with him. He can, and will beat you up for anything and everything.

Now that you see why I'm afraid of talking to him, back to the story:

"Are you okay?" River asked.
The whole cafeteria silenced and I felt hundreds of eyes on me.

"Y-yeah I-I'm fine," I stuttered while sitting up. I slowly looked up and was meet with River's gaze.

"Are you gonna get up or just sit there?" River asked after an awkward moment a silence.

"I'll go," I responded, quickly standing up. Without giving him a second look, I sped away to where Leah is sitting.

The cafeteria thankfully returned to its normal chatter after that, and I slid in the spot next to Leah.

"Oh, my, gosh," Leah whispered after a few seconds of stunned silence. Her beautiful ocean blue eyes that I envy are wide and her mouth is open. Leah has dark hair, bright blue eyes and lots of piercings.

"I thought you were going to die!" Emma chimed in from across the table. She has blonde hair and grey eyes.

"He actually asked if you were okay, does he like you or something?" My read haired friend Lizzy asked.

My friend group consists of Emma, Leah, Lizzy, Sydney and I. We've all know each other since freshmen year, but I've know Leah since second grade.

This whole time Sydney has said nothing, even though she usually the one who can't stop talking. She just stared at me with her light green eyes; they compliment her chestnut shoulder length hair perfectly.

"Guys! Stop talking about it!" I demanded.  

"This, this never happened," I added after a second, looking around and making contact with everyone at the table to make sure they understand.

"Fine, this never happened," Leah repeated, putting her hands up in surrender.

"Yep!" I exclaimed. "We never talk about this again."

"Fine. How was your day?" Lizzy asked.

I'm grateful that she changed the topic, so I excitedly answered "It was great!" Even though so far, it's been far from it.

We each took turns telling each other about our day until the bell finally rang, deeming lunch over.

Only half a day left, I told myself as I walked out of the cafeteria, headed towards my next class.

The rest of the day went by smoothly. As I passed through the halls on my way home, I noticed a paper pined on the wall.

The paper read:
Tutors needed:
If you are a student who maintained a 3.5 gpa or higher last year, you may be qualified to tutor a student this school year. We need tutors as tutoring will start next week. If you are interested, please attend the assembly today or tomorrow night at 5pm in the auditorium for more info.

Tutoring. That sounds like a great idea! Maybe I can attend the assembly to see if they'll be paying, I've been needing a way to earn some money so that I can stop using my parent's. Not to brag or anything, but I maintained a 4.0 gpa all year last year so I qualify, I'm definitely going to this assembly.

1 hours later...
I am getting ready to head to the meeting at school. Sadly, I have to walk since I can't drive and my parents aren't home to take me.

I quickly slipped on a gray hoodie and grabbed my phone. When I got downstairs, I put on my shoes and grabbed the key to my house, making sure to lock the door on my way out.

I decided to walk the long way to school. This way, I can look at all the pretty houses and their gardens as I pass by.

Why can't we have a pretty garden? Maybe I should start one! I'm willing to take care of all of the flowers and stuff if it means that we will have a beautiful garden to show off.

I planned out my possible future garden for the next hour until I finally arrived at school. I walked to the auditorium doors and quickly opened them.

When I entered the auditorium, I only saw about 30 other kids. As I scanned over the semi familiar faces, I spotted a girl who I talk to a lot in my classes. I guess I can sit with her.

I quickly made my way over to her and we greeted each other. Just as I sat down, the vice principal stood up and started the presentation.

After the presentation
I started to walk back home since it's beginning to get dark.

The presentation was really boring, but they pretty much explained that we will be meeting with the student who we are going to tutor every other school day afterschool. We had to sign up, and they said that they will match us with whoever they deem to be the best fit. Pretty simple.

We have to discuss how much we will be payed with the student and their families.

When I got about half way home, a black car turned on it's headlights and started to slow down beside me. This is weird, something doesn't feel right.

I started to speed up a little bit, and so did the car. It followed me for about another minute until I finally turned around. Inside are I think two men dressed in all black, one of them is holding a metal object.

Oh no.

This can't be happening.

By this point, I'm sprinting as fast as I can. I ignored the burning in my legs, I need to get away from them.

The guy is holding a gun.

I turned for a second to see where I'm going, that's when I spotted the pothole right in front of me. It's to late to stop though, I know what's coming. I am going to trip over that hole, and they are going to get me. Who knows what they will do to me.

Just as I was about to fall, two muscular hands stopped me.

An angel has fallen from heaven.

1131 words