Chapter 2

Edward's POV

"Get ready!" I shouted, getting into place for the transmutation.

Light filled the room when I got to the center of the circle. I clapped my hands and started the transmutation. The portal opened in front of me and long black hands wrapped around me. "Long time no see. Too bad this isn't when I planned on opening you again. Ling! Jump in it!"

"You better know what you're doing! I'm trusting you!" Ling stepped in and dissolved like Envy and me.

Thank you. Thank you. I thought. The body and soul are connected to one another by the mind. I gave myself up to the portal, allowing the hands to guide me. Memories flew past me as I rushed towards a bright white light. A portion of my body now hurdles towards the portal of truth. So there's no point in struggling, I have to let my mind guide me into the portal.

"Now, what's this? You're not even trying to get your body back, are you?" A voice mocked me. It sounded vaguely familiar.

When I finally opened my eyes again, I was collapsed on the ground in pain. My broken arm felt like it was on fire. Nonetheless, I brushed it off the best I could and sat up. In front of me was a single door towering over me. "Alright, I made it." I turned to see if there was anything else around and saw a second door directly behind me. Were...there always two portals? As I scanned it, my eyes were drawn to a lonesome figure sitting at the base of the door. With a gasp, it clicked...Alphonse. Alphonse turned around and stared at me. Without a second thought, I ran to him, reaching out desperately to grab him. I heard the door behind me open, but I ignored the long black hands wrap around me and snicker at me. "Al! Al, come on! Please, hurry out! Al!" I called out, fighting against the portals' grasp.

"I can't," Al responded calmly. "I can only leave with my own soul. I'm sorry, I can't go with you." He smiled reassuringly and watched as the door closed in front of me.

But I refused to let that be the last thing I said to him. I fought back to thrust open the portal and saw Al come back into view. I tore off as many of the hands as I could. With an aggressive blow, I forced the door back open. "I promise! Someday soon, I'll come back for you!"

My mind was racing. My arm may be broken, but if I can move at all, I can't just sit still. I have to reach out and do something. I have to make it back to help Alphonse, to save everyone. Then everything changed. The hands started rattling me, giggling, and mocking me. It felt like I was going in a whole different direction. But it only lasted for a moment, then it was gone. A familiar blinding white light appeared, and I was thrown into a bush.

My head ached, my ears rang. I felt dizzy. My arm stung, and I knew I was back. "What the...Hey guys, I think there's someone out there!"

"No time, run!" a raspy voice whispered.

"Edward...is that you?" Finally, a familiar voice. I looked over to see Ling tied up in a bush as well.

I tried to stand, but my broken arm held me down. Instead, I turned to see a tall figure with curly green hair. "Are you okay? Here, let me help you." He offered his hand and helped me up.

"I'm alright, and thanks, but...Is this Amestris?" I thought back to the strange feeling while in the portal, and scanned the group of teenagers. Two of which looked like chimeras.

"I don't think so, Edward. Look up." Ling came to my side and pointed at giant buildings that towered over the trees.

A boy with red-and-white hair stepped forward, "Are you two lost?"

"We should take them back to U.A. They're injured." The red-headed boy spoke up.

"So, what are your names?" a short girl with brown hair came to my side. She leaned forward and put her hands behind her back, "I'm Uraraka!"