Shut Up and Smile, Mother!

"Mom, dad. What are you doing here?"

My mom smiles at me, tugging me into her arms awkwardly.

"We came to visit you and see how your medical degree is going."

"Really? Wow."

"Are you going to invite us in?"

"Uh, sure. Make yourselves comfortable."

"Who's car is that?"

I feel a warm hand on my back, and I look up to see a confident Brixton standing there, his hand reaching out towards my mother.

"It's my car. I'm Brixton Summers."

"Hi. I'm Ophelia and this is my husband Bernard. You can call us Mr. and Ms. Henderson."

"It's wonderful to finally meet you Mr. and Ms. Henderson. Your daughter here talks about you."

"Oh, her? She's not really our daughter."

The pain in my heart cannot be matched. I think my heart just shattered into a million pieces, and now it's laying on the floor. He's a stranger to them, and I'm standing right here. I'm not their daughter. I lean against Brixton for support, but not even his warmth helps. He sneaks his hand around my waist, squeezing my hip to say 'I'm here for you'.

"I'm Reign's boyfriend."

"The one she called us about. The distraction."

Brixton tucks his hand back as his side, deciding that neither of my parents are going to shake it.

"I hope not. She's been spectacular in her classes, so..."

"Did you two spend the day together when she should be studying?"

Brixton chuckles awkwardly.

"Yes, we have."

"So you are a distraction."

"Mom-"

"Ms. Henderson."

My own mother won't let me call her mom. Holy shit. What has happened? What could I have possibly done?

"Ms. Henderson, can I get either you or dad-"

"Mr. Henderson."

"Right, um...Mr. Henderson something to drink?"

"Yes, two coffees with an exact teaspoon of sugar and a dash of cream."

Brixton butts in, sensing the tension. I'm not their maid and this is my home.

"I can gladly get those for you both as Reign gives you a tour of her home."

"I can already tell it's going to be ugly, but we can take a look around."

I look at my dad for help with my mother, but I get a blank stare. Right. Always on her side. Happy wife, happy life. I now remember how seriously he takes that. My mother-I mean Ms. Henderson doesn't even wait for me to guide her around the house. She goes around and bitches about everything she hates with the apartment. My apartment. That I paid for.

"I have you coffee."

"So maybe the boy is good for something."

"He's not a maid."

"Oh, please. He's a piece of meat to use. You're being a slut, Reign."

"No, he's my boyfriend because I love him."

"What do you know about love?"

"More than you because you can't even love your own daughter."

"You aren't my daughter."