Terribly Toxic, Tough Figures

"Brix. I can write and you just tell me the answer. The nurse needs this to help Reign."

"No, that's fine. I can do it."

Dexter shakes his head lightly, agreeing with me. I'm filling out the paper when Nick sprints so fast to us that he almost falls on his face. He holds his chest completely out of breath. Dexter rolls his eyes.

"You didn't have to run here, babe."

"Are you kidding? My favorite girl in the whole entire world is hurt, and you think I wouldn't run? You're crazy."

Nick turns to me, obviously disgruntled and all over the place.

"How the fuck did she wind up hurt?"

Dexter slaps Nick in the arm, scolding him.

"What?"

"It's not his fault, jackass. Let him be. He just watched her get hit by a car. Sit your ass down and shut up, unless you have something nice to say. We can argue later."

"I'm sorry, Brix. I'm just worried."

"I know. I am too, but I'm hoping she's going to be okay."

"She will be. I know it.

Quickly I finish off the paperwork, and I hand it to the nurse.

"I'm Brixton Summers. I wanted to apologize for being an asshole when meeting you."

The nurse, who's name is Alfie, grins at me.

"It's okay. You were having an emotional moment, which is completely okay, and I totally understand. It's a scary time and that usually results in anger."

"Do you have news on her?"

"Give me a moment, and I'll see if I can find anything out."

"Thank you. I'll wait with the other two boys."

"I'll be there as soon as I have something."

The wait seems to take forever, but Dexter informs me it was only twenty minutes. Danny was also called, and he showed up as soon as possible. He stayed for a couple of minutes but couldn't handle being in the hospital without causing a temper tantrum, so he had to take a walk. The nurse comes over, another clipboard in hand. 

I rub my palms together, feeling anxious about what he's going to say. My anger has (not completely but enough to function) dissipated, and now I'm worried. So fucking worried. A million what ifs run through my head. I know what ifs are bad, but I can't stop them. I want Reign to be okay. She doesn't even have to like me, but I want her to be okay.

"Ms. Henderson is in her surgery. She has a concussion, a few broken ribs, and has a piece of metal lodged in her leg."

"Is that what the surgery is for?"

"Yes, it is. It's lodged too far deep into her muscle to be able to pull it out. The metal is under her skin."

"How long will it take? How long can we see her?"

"The surgery should take about forty five minutes. Does she have any family?"

"We're her family."

"Well then, you'll probably be able to see her in about an hour, hour and a half. Once we allow to go in, only one at a time for now."

"Thank you. Is there anything we should be concerned about? Besides everything you already said."

"She might have amnesia about the incident or farther back from that. We won't know anything about it until she wakes up, and we can examine her. Until then, she looks really good for a girl of her size after being in a car accident."