4: Memories

When the sun rose, Devika woke up as well. She had a fitful sleep with memories of past haunting her.

-------------------------

"I Bijlal Kumar, the King of Gauda Kingdom hereby declare my son, Bhadra's, engagement to Devika, the only Princess of Nala Kingdom. Let the rings be exchanged." the King announced it to everyone present.

The two of them exchanged rings as the priest started chanting holy mantras. Her happiness knew no bounds and her lips were curved in a smile which clearly stated her joy. Devika glanced shyly at Prince Bhadra only to see him looking at the ring on his finger and frowning. She was surprised, but then remembered that her father had informed her about Bhadra's cousin, another prince of Gauda Kingdom, planning a coup. She knew that her father had informed King Bijlal about it and offered his help. Devika felt that Bhadra might be worried about it. Hence she lightly placed a hand on top of his and gave him a reassuring smile. He returned a blank expression to her.

After the ceremony, she wanted to ask him if everything was fine but didn't get a chance as her friends and cousins from the noble families surrounded them and started chatting away. When the celebrations were over, Prince Bhadra left with his family without throwing a single glance at her. Although she was a bit upset at his attitude, she understood that he must be worried for the future of his kingdom. After all, a family member's betrayal is hard to digest.

------------------------------

Devika sat on the marital bed in her full bridal outfit and make up. She looked like a beautiful red rose, inviting the viewer to have a whiff of it's scent. Dreams of a beautiful night and worries of unknown future were warring in her heart.

While waiting for Crown Prince Bhadra Kumar to arrive in their bedroom, Devika slowly started to nod off. She woke up in the morning when a few maids came to rouse her and help her get ready for the day. She was a bit saddened and confused as to why Bhadra didn't come to their bedroom for their special night.

When she stepped out of her room after dressing up nicely, she saw a lot of servants rushing around the palace decorating it's every inch. Surprised she stopped a maid and asked her, "Why are you decorating the palace? Is there any special event today?"

"Yes, Crown Princess. Today the Crown Prince, Bhadra Kumar, is getting married to Lady Mandira, the youngest daughter of the Prime Minister. We have been instructed to decorate the palace grandly." the maid explained humbly.

Angered at the words of the maid, Devika had rushed to find Bhadra only to be informed that he had already left for the wedding venue. Since she was a married lady, leaving her home without the permission of her in laws was not possible for her. When the wedding party returned with the new bride, Devika was holed up in her room, crying her heart out.

A newly wed bride was thrown aside in exchange for another woman. Nothing could have insulted Devika more than this. She knew that Bhadra was a Crown Prince and she would have to accept sharing him with other women. But she had assumed that it would be some time in future and not the next day of their marriage.

-----------------------

Soon after Bhadra married to Mandira, the days took a bad turn for Devika. The palace servants lost interest in her and though they treated her politely, they placed Mandira's word above hers. According to the servants, Mandira was Bhadra's first love and hence was truly loved by him. Devika, on the other hand, had came between two lovers and hence was often ignored and left alone in her chambers. Bhadra never entered her chambers or called her to spend time with him. Thus, she was surprised when one fine morning Bhadra entered her chambers.

"What are you doing here, my husband?" Devika asked, her voice polite but not happy.

"Tomorrow is my coronation ceremony. As per the laws of our country, if the to be coronated King is married then his first wife sits with him to perform rites. Although you are my first wife, I would like to be accompanied by Mandira." Bhadra informed her.