Chapter 3

Despite wanting to visit the second prince, Emperor Michaelis I strictly forbid them from crossing paths. The second prince was isolated and confined in his own room, and Celine's plans for befriending him were postponed.

Time passed by very quickly, and Celine was now 9 years old.

Celine continued her education alongside Laith and adapted to the Zionitte culture and customs well. Women in this Zionitte Empire were only seen as objects, and Celine was lucky enough to be treated less harshly due to her circumstances as Laith's fiance. Although women were forbidden from pursuing higher education, she still attended Zaith's classes. Celine claimed that she wanted to spend more time with him, then proceeded to sit next to Laith and listen to the scholars teach.

****

"Draco!" Celine cried in astonishment before quickly muffling her own voice and looking around to see if anybody would come in to check up on her. When she confirmed that no one would, she looked at the young man in front of her. He was tall and muscular with dark features that made him look especially intimidating. He lifted his arms up in the air and flexed as hard as he could, grunting like a madman.

"Don't mess with this fish!"

Perfect, Celine laughed. He looks like an average Zionitte warrior.

This average man standing before her was her koi familiar. Back in her own world, a golden koi fish could transform into a golden dragon through perseverance and determination. The color of her koi represented wealth, prosperity, and fortune. Celine knew that her familiar could transform into a powerful dragon and named it Draco, but she would've never thought that Draco could transform into anything! She felt as if lady luck was on her side. Draco was clever and witty, lifting her mood up whenever she was sad. He also grew stronger by the day, and they trained together every night to cultivate their skills.

"Draco, if we didn't train like this often and I neglected you, would you have not been as strong?"

"Yes, my power wouldn't reach its full potential. Not a lot of women with familiars are trained. They are mostly used for idle talk."

Celine felt assured that Draco would surely be of use and help her in the future when she wanted to earn money on her own. Celine was still figuring out how to gain property and produce goods in this world. It would be a while until she could finally make money using her past knowledge. She needed her own money in case Laith abandoned her in the future.

Celine and Laith had become inseparable over the years. Although he was as bright as the sun and as powerful as a lion, he was neither sweet nor innocent anymore. Celine had come to witness the cruelty and absurd expectations the Emperor bestowed on his son. As soon as Laith endured endless hardships in becoming an expert swordsman at the age of 8, he was sent out on missions to kill. The victims were men, women, and children. As Laith participated in the political turmoils of the court and the never ending assassination attempts, his naive, youthful glow dissipated.

The Emperor was slowly distinguishing what was left of Laith's light, and shaping him into a perfect Emperor. Celine could only watch in horror.

The only evidence of Laith's previously bright personality were the subtle smiles he gave Celine in private, or his softening eyes whenever Celine entered the room. Whenever Laith wasn't busy, she would tend to his wounds and comfort him as much as she could.

"Celine. We are here to escort you to the pavilion to meet with the Crown Prince." A servant called from the door.

Her familiar quickly transformed back into a small shadow as the servant walked in to prepare her for Celine's meeting with Laith. Lately, their meetings together were less spontaneous and more formalized. They also met less frequently, which Celine didn't mind since she enjoyed training with her familiar.