Jailhouse Blues

This was not my definition of fun. Justin handed Sarah a can of spray paint to pass down to me. I hesitated to take it, but I didn't want to be the wimpy goody girl.

I think Liam could sense my nerves, he reached over and grabbed my arm, "You good?"

I slowly nodded, and he followed Justin behind the building. We were at the old abandoned gas station on the outside part of town. Sarah was excited and pumping off of the adrenaline. Every time a car would pass we would all lay flat on the ground.

Justin and Liam rejoined us in the grass beside the drive through window.

"I saw this place when we came into town this morning, it was perfect." Justin passed a few more colored spray paint cans to each of us.

"Let's do this!" Sarah took off behind the building, Justin followed, and then Liam.

I couldn't bring myself to go after them, my nerves were now taking over my legs and causing me to sweat profusely. I took a few deep breaths before Liam turned back. He came and held his hand out for me, "It's okay. I've got you."

I stood up and followed Liam close to his side. By the time we reached the back of the building, Sarah and Justin had already marked up most of the wall. Another set of headlights flashed by and we all planked the grass, only this time the headlights didn't continue on past us, they stopped. Directly beaming into the wall full of graffiti, and then they turned blue.

"Shit! Run!" Justin grabbed his cans and took off running, leaving me, Sarah, and Liam alone.

Sarah jumped up and ran into the woods beside the abandoned gas station. Liam stood up running after her, but soon realized I hadn't moved. He ran back and yanked me up by my arms. I had started to go into a panic attack and my legs didn't want to support my body. He slid his arm under mine and behind my shoulder blades, then placed his other arm behind my knee caps. Within seconds I was in the air clinging to his neck. We could hear the police officer yelling after us to stop running, but we didn't.

Sarah continued through the woods, Liam and I crossed to the parking lot and jumped into car. 

The blue lights had moved from in front of us to behind us, and they were getting closer by the second. Liam started the car and sped out of the parking lot. I was now in tears and struggling with air in short choppy breaths. He drove at high speed down the road and took a hard left, after a few minutes he turned right, and then pulled into a driveway and killed the lights.

He put his hand over my mouth and pointed to the floorboard, "Duck down and don't move."

I nodded wiping my tears away, and crawled into a ball in the floorboard. The lights became so close that they were reflecting off of the dash, and then they disappeared.

I heard Liam exhale in relief, "They drove past us... but we aren't in the clear just yet." He whispered really close, and wiped a tear from my cheek.

I was beginning to worry about Sarah and Justin.

Liam pulled his phone out of his pocket and spent a few seconds tapping the screen for what I assumed was a text message.

Several minutes passed, and it seemed that we were in the clear by now. We both took our seats again and he started the car. We had made it back onto the road and went the opposite direction.

Liams phone lit up and he pulled it to his ear.

"Where?........We are in the car....Sarah?..Sarah?!"

"Damnit!" Liam put his phone in the cup holder and his foot weighed heavy on the gas pedal as we wound the curvy road.

Just as we had almost reached the road that backed up to the woods, blue lights flashed behind the car and the sirens became overwhelming loud. They were right behind us.

"Shit!" Liam punched the steering wheel, and pulled the car to the side of the road.

My heart began to beat so freaking fast that I couldn't breath and I was almost certain that a bomb was going to blow my heart straight out of my chest.

The officer uses his flashlight to knock on the window, Liam rolls it down and greets the officer politely.

"Good evening, officer."

The officer flashed his light through the car searching the seats and floorboards from his position, "What are you two kids doing out here this late at night?"

Liam laughed and grabbed my hand, "Just trying to impress a pretty girl."

I awkwardly smiled and tried to play along.

The officer shined his light directly into my eyes and I tried to not squint, "What is your name, Miss?"

"Emilie Jones...."

The officer moved his light beam from my eyes to Liams, "Yours?"

"Liam White, sir."

Just as his interrogation was becoming to sound innocent, his radio hooked to his uniform came to life: "Female suspect, 5'5", dark clothing, light hair, spotted by Sorrel Rd on foot."

Liams hand tightened around mine. We both knew who they had found.

The officer reached over and clicked his radio, "Copy that. Can you run a plate for me?"

Liams eyes closed and his hand squeezed mine tight one more time. The officer made his way to the trunk of Justin's car, and began to read off the plate to his radio.

Liam looked at me and joked, "Wanna run?"

I play punched his arm, "I think it's too late for that."

He shrugged, "How do you feel about guys that have a record?"

I shrugged back, "Probably the same way you feel about girls that have a record."

He smirked, "I think they are badass."

The officer appeared back at the window, "I need you both to step out of the car, please. Keep your hands where I can see them."

The radio spoke again, "Suspect has been confirmed and has identified the other three suspects. We are looking for a 6'1" Male, Justin Brooks... a 6'0" Male, Liam White....," the radio went silent... "And a 5'8" Female, Emilie Jones."

The officer chuckled, "Well..Well..Well.." He pushes Liam face first across the hood of the car and pulled out his cuffs. Liam didn't try to resist. Once the officer had Liam in the backseat, I voluntarily held out my wrists and cooperated as he helped me into the backseat.

"My mom is going to kill me." I repetitively shook my head fighting back tears.

Liam stared out the window the entire ride. I kept replaying the radio in my head... Sarah had ratted us out.

The officer called for backup upon arriving to the station. The second officer joined us at the car and led me into the double doors. Inside, Sarah and Justin were seated in the corner.

My mom is so going to kill me....