19

ROSE

Sometimes, all you needed in life was a little push. It could be a push to become a better person, to do better in school, to find yourself. And sometimes, it needed to be something more direct.

What I needed right now was a push, over the bridge, desperately.

The morning after the steamy car ride, I woke up at the sound of something being smashed. It was weird, especially since I used to be a heavy sleeper, and this was happening downstairs. I took my confused ass out of bed, at nine in the morning, and got ready. Maybe, I should've stayed put and continued with the peaceful sleep.

My curiosity will be my undoing, I'm calling it.

A slow groan slipped past my lips as I began to walk down the stairs, in an oversized shirt and a pair of shorts that weren't visible due the size of the shirt. I might've stolen it from Toby's closet last night while he wasn't looking. Might have.

My hair was a mess pulled into a bun, that over night turned into a birds nest. The only thing I truly did was use the bathroom and clean my face, brush my teeth and put some cream on my face. Nothing more, as I didn't truly care.

Two voices grabbed my attention. I recognized Lilly's obnoxious whines and wanted nothing more than to retreat back in my room, but by the time I realized who it was, I was already in their sight and their eyes were on me.

Tobias had his eyes narrowed as he scanned the shirt I was wearing, though he didn't comment on it. Lilly, on the other hand, looked as if she'd seen a ghost. Blinking a few times didn't help, either.

''You're still here?'' She asked, shocked to see me. She still looked as gorgeous and as put together, as she always did. Her hair was pulled into a loose ponytail, the hair in waves. Her makeup was minimal, yet it looked stunning, and her outfit? Like she was just coming from a business meeting.

''Ah, yes.'' I replied, confusion in my voice. ''I'll let the two of you talk.'' I gave them a fake smile and turned on my heel, ready to leave, when another groan came from me, at the sound of her loud voice.

''Stop. Stay.'' She commanded.

I snorted, ''Do you want me to bark too? Since it seems you've confused me for a dog.''

She had a glint in her eyes that I didn't like, ''Not a dog. A bitch.''

''That's rich coming from a woman going through a middle life crisis, and is resolving it by arguing with someone half her age. That comeback was cool in middle school, Lilly. Grow up.''

Lilly had the audacity to be offended. She crossed her arms in front of her chest and rose a brow, meanwhile, Tobias was sitting on a chair across from her, a cup of coffee in his hand, newspaper in another one.

''Now, I will leave. I have no wish to be a part of your argument, because let's be real, Lilly. Your problems didn't start with me, they won't end with me.''

Tobias interrupted whatever she was about to say next, ''She's right. And you have no reason to be here, Lilly. It's starting to annoy me how you are showing up unannounced. There's nothing to talk about, the divorce papers are in the works, and you'll need to sign yours soon.''

''And if I don't want to?'' She asked back, ''All I'm asking is another chance, Tobias.'' Her voice was shaky and she was getting desperate. I took a step back as I tried to leave without leaving a trace, whilst still getting some information.

Tobias sighed, ''You had a second chance, Lilly, it's not like it was the first time you've cheated and begged for another chance. I'm not a fool, you cannot change. And I won't risk spending the rest of my life with someone who I cannot trust.''

I was baffled. She cheated, prior to their separation? Tobias didn't seem like the kind of a man to forgive infidelity. My heart ached at the thought of how much he must have loved her to forgive her and give it another chance. She truly was the woman of his life, despite her being an awful wife.

They were quiet as I took a turn, though I stopped in my tracks at her question.

''It's because of her, isn't it? Before she came around, you were more than happy to at least give me the chance to talk, now you won't even look at me. You've fucked her, right?''

I flinched at the sound of the cup smashing onto the floor, echoing.

''Enough, Lilly.'' Tobias yelled. He yelled for the first time since I've been here and it pained me to hear it. His voice cracked, and it was as if he had a lump in his throat, ''Leave her out of this. She isn't the one to blame for your decisions, and if you want to blame anyone for all of this, blame me, blame yourself, but don't you dare drag her into your mess.''

Lilly laughed, unbothered by his words, ''I'm right? I was bluffing, but wow. Don't tell me you actually have feelings for this silly girl, Tobias.''

Tobias was silent.

''You've got to be fucking kidding me.'' Lilly breathed out.

I wasn't going to sit there and listen to their bickering any longer. Slowly, and silently, I made my way towards my room and closed the door behind me. I went back to bed and completely covered myself in the soft blanket.

Their conversation was on my mind on repeat. Somehow, it managed to get my heart racing. He didn't deny it. He didn't tell her he didn't have any feelings for me. Of course, it wasn't a confirmation, either, but he didn't say no. It made my face split into a grin so big that it almost hurt.

In a way, it meant that no matter if he had feelings for me or not, I managed to influence his decision in their divorce. It was amazing. Not because I was jealous, or because I knew how much he'd affected my life, but because even after I left, he would be able to heal himself and move on from Lilly.

And that thought alone was enough for me to be happy. He deserved to find happiness, even if that wasn't me.