Chapter 24 - Tarnish Me Not

I have another chapter for you lovely people! I just want to say a huge thanks again for the amazing feedback on my last chapter and I really do hope you enjoy this one.

 [M Rating as usual] 

............

I'd entered the designated 'comfort suite' this morning at the police station with my head held high, determined to remain as calm and therefore as focussed as possible when giving my statement to the police. By the time I left, I was a whirlpool of emotions, some entirely unidentifiable. My legs barely felt like my own when I walked out of the room as if I'd been sat for an eternity. How long was I in there for? It must have been well over an hour. It's only when I leave the suite and see Alan - who has waited for me the entire time that he tells me two hours have passed.

His statement is taken moments after mine. In the meantime I am taken to another room by the same officer who interviewed me – Officer Victoria Princeton. We sit on comfortable chairs a meter or so apart, angled towards each other.

"There are safe havens we can offer you, warm environments where women who have been through similar experiences can come together. Would that be something you are interested in?"

I guess my body language says more than my jumbled sentence from her words that follow.

"I understand that it may seem daunting at first, but there are plenty of women who benefit from these kind of groups. There is of course no pressure, but if it's something you'd like to do, you can take a look at these..."

She hands me three leaflets.

Tears form in my eyes quicker than I can blink, certain triggers, feelings or words in this case hit home as I read the leaflets in my lap, titled; 'Overcoming After Effects of Domestic Abuse,' 'Road to Recovery for victims of Domestic Violence,' and 'The Haven.'

I am tarnished; tarnished with a label, a victim of attempted rape, of physical and mental abuse. My vision is blurred by my sudden tears that prevent me from seeing the tissue officer Princeton hands me from a nearby box.

"I'm sorry," I sniffle.

"Nothing to be sorry for. Hold on to those - a little something to think about."

................

Alan respects my need to be alone with my thoughts, and for most of the journey home, all is quiet and it's much appreciated as I'm too emotionally drained to offer any form of conversation. We arrive home; Alan makes a late lunch and calls the theatre before consulting me to tell them he won't be able to make tonight's performance.

"You didn't have to do that for me."

"You've had a long day," he says, across the table. "I should imagine you don't want to stay home alone, and I wouldn't expect you to accompany me after today's ordeal, so you can relax. Stay home."

"You're too good to me."

"I'm doing what any decent human being would do."

............

Two nights on and I decide it's time to face reality again and head back to work – the theatre. Alan had respectfully asked to change dressing rooms purely because of my hesitation to walk back into the place Scott attacked me in. The thought of entering that room made my blood run cold. Ten minutes before show time and I'm doing the final checks on the costumes when Holly (redhead) approaches me with a half undone corset that she asks me to lace up. She isn't too bad, but I'm still a tad dubious about her flirtatious manner around Alan. Perhaps it's admiration, I don't know, but the consistent touching of her hair is so unnecessary. I enjoy yanking at her corset tails just thinking of it.