43. Blue

Chapter 43: Blue.

"So, what college are you going to?" Gwen asks me as she cuts into her steak.

"Bradford." My father answers on my behalf.

"Oh, really? Sierra is going there too. Maybe you guys can sign up for the same sorority." She tells me. I just flash her a fake smile as I eat a fork full of my fettuccine pasta.

"I really appreciate you coming, Valarie. I mean, we are going to be family soon." Gwen says reaching out to touch my hand, I put my hand on my lap.

"Family?" I scoff.

"You're a home wrecker. You could have created your own family with your whore for a daughter, but instead, you had to sleep with your boss and ruin his wife's life." I say, slamming my fist on the table.

"Valarie, what has come over you?" My father asks with a heavy tone.

People are now staring at us, as expected.

"You cheated, Dad. Hasn't that occurred to you yet? You ruined mom, and she's too oblivious to see what you've done to her. You think you can eat your cake and have it, huh?" I ask him.

"Well, you can't. You're going to have to choose between Gwen and me. You can't have both." I tell him, grabbing my purse as I head out of the restaurant.

Damn, that felt good.

If my father thinks I'm just going to sit and look pretty for the family portrait with Gwen and Sierra, he has another thing coming. He has to make a choice and a quick one too.

***

"Valarie Nicole Stone I am going to kill you." My mother says, barging into my room.

"What do you want, mother?" I whine, sitting upright on my bed.

"You ruined the plan." She tells me and I stare at her in confusion.

"Wait, what are you talking about?" I ask her.

"I wasn't honest with you, Vee." She says as she walks towards the bed and takes a seat beside me. "
"Your father and I came up with a plan. He was going to sleep with his secretary to get Stone Construction capital for its next project." She tells me and I stare at her in confusion.

"How does Dad sleeping with his secretary get us more money?" I ask her, folding my arms.

"Gwen is the daughter of a retired business mogul and your father was supposed to date her and get close to her father." She reveals.

"So, all this drama is for some deal that you guys want to seal?" I ask her and she nods.

"Unbelievable." I say, standing up.

"You guys are the worst. You had me worked up over nothing. What are you going to do now?" I ask her.

"Well, since you ruined the plan we're going to have to raise capital the old-fashioned way. By getting more building jobs." She says as she stands up and dusts her shirt.

Why didn't they just do that in the first place, why go to such extremes?

"What about the deal with the McCains?" I ask her.

"What about it?" My mother asks me with a frown on her face.

"You can always go back to that." I tell her.

"Your father would never do that. They play dirty, that's why it didn't work the first time. Look, don't bother yourself with this, just start packing for college because you leave in two weeks." She tells me before she leaves my room.