1 Cocoa Kiss: Modern Day Au

A/n: credit to the artist! I wish I knew who drew this but I found this on google 😭

Third Person Pov

You sigh walking to the cafeteria. 'Another boring day, in a boring school, with boring teachers, and mostly boring students.'

See, your best friend since 8th grade, Varian, had to fly out of the country because of his dad's job. This lead him to miss most of sophomore year and a few months of Junior Year so far, in your high school.

You only called him your "bestie" and wouldn't accept the fact that you had a crush on him. But let's face the facts, getting butterflies whenever he'd smile at you, daydreaming about him, and being overprotective when it comes to other girls, definitely means he's more than a "bestie" to you. I second that! Varian shhh, I'm narrating right now. Ohhh sorry Clementine.... It's okay, it's okay.

ANYWAY

You were in the cafeteria waiting for it to hit 8:30am so that you could go to your first class, when you felt a buzz in your pocket.

You took your phone out annoyed at who would be texting you at 8:15 in the morning. Your sleepy expression turned to an excited one when you read the notification.

Message from Dork

'Varian...VARIAN?! Yes yes yes yes yes,' you immediately looked at his message.

Hey n/n, I mailed a gift for you to our go-to hot cocoa shop. It should be arriving today!!! 😆 -Varian

You couldn't help but smile. You replied full of curiosity.

FR?! Omg tysm ☺️, What is it? -y/n

You were super impatient, the bubble cloud at the side of the screen taunting you, indicating he was typing back.

It's a surprise! If it wasn't, I probably would've told you what it was in the first message duhhhh -Varian

You rolled your eyes, as if he could see you through the screen. You were even more curious than before.

Seriously Var? You know I don't like surprises, do you really want me to die of curiosity? 😭 -y/n

His response this time didn't take as long.

Nope, not gonna work this time - Varian

'Figured,' you thought.

One hint plsssss 🙏 -y/n

Okay, okay ONE hint, it's living. -Varian

Before you had the chance to respond, he sent one more message.

It's 8:25, you should get going ttyl -Varian

You looked at your phone sadly and sighed.

Ttyl ✌️- y/n

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

All throughout school you couldn't stop thinking about the hint. 'Did he get me a pet?! No no, he would've definitely asked me first before giving it to me,' you thought carefully.

'A plant! Yes, he knows I've always wanted a cactus. Wait no, why would he keep a cactus a secret?

You thought and thought again until finally the day was over.

'Time to finally find out, thank god,' you silently tell yourself speed walking to the shop.

When you get there, you run up to Clementine, a worker at the shop (who also happens to be me), and a friend. "Heyyy Clementine, so I was told there would be a gift for me sent here."

She only chuckled, a smirk forming on her face. You were confused until you felt the presence of someone behind you.

"Your gift is here," a way too familiar voice said softly super close to your ear. That same voice that gave you butterflies 1 year ago, still had the same effect, even if it has gotten deeper.

You turned around quickly, eyes lighting up.

"OH MY GOD OH MY GOD VAR YOUR BACK," you exclaimed and jumped onto Varian, hugging him tightly.

"Woah woah woah, I missed you too, but unless you want me to accidentally drop you, you should probably let go," he groaned, putting you down.

"The couple is back together yasssss," Clementine exclaimed, clapping her hands.

Both you AND Varian turned red in the cheeks.

"W-we're not a-" you began still blushing. "Yeah yeah whatever are you going to order now?" Clementine asks crossing her arms.

"Actually, yes, two hot cocoas please," Varian said enthusiastically.

"Two hot cocoas," Clementine said when they were done. She was fighting the urge to say "two hot cocoas for the love birds".

She handed each of them a cup and waved goodbye.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You guys decided to walk through the park to catch up.

"Hey! Just a year ago you were only an inch taller than me, how did you grow a whole f ing FOOT?!"  Varian only laughed at you.

"Anyway, How was Mexico?!" You asked super excited to hear all the stories about it.

"Pretty fun...but I couldn't stop thinking about...you," he said looking at the ground. "Same here, it was boring in Cora High without you," you say, taking a sip of the hot cocoa.

"N-no, I mean in a different way," he stopped suddenly. You were confused, really confused.

"What do you mean 'in a different way,'" you chuckle at his sudden seriousness.

"I mean, I thought about you A LOT and not just because it was 'boring' without you," he began. "Over the time I had in Mexico, I've gained the bravery to do this."

You smile confused again. "Do wha-" before you could finish your sentence, Varian put his hand on your cheek, his lips meeting yours.

And for the first time, you admitted Varian was more than just a "bestie" to you.

A/n: yaaaaay first oneshot doooone!!!! If you have any suggestions leave them in the comments pls. Except if it's inappropriate (as in smut, lemon, anything like that is a no) also you may realize that I'll be a small character in some of the chapters.

Anyway, I hope you enjoyed!

I hope you guys enjoyed too!

Var, what are you doing?

Didn't you tell them I would be helping you narrate some time, or at least be in the same room as you?

Oh yeah, forgot about that....

Until next time

-Clementine AND Varian