15. Good Boy

"He offered you a job?" Spencer's voice is quizzical

You stand in front of his coffee table, arms crossed. "He told me that after I graduate, the BAU is prepared to offer me an internship."

"An internship?"

You nod. "The team can mentor me, teach me everything they know."

"So you wouldn't go to grad school?" He stands, matching your pose, arms crossed in front of him.

"No."

"So you're just abandoning your plans?"

You can't help but feel like he's interrogating you, mirroring your actions. You try to put yourself in his shoes: his girlfriend is going to potentially work a highly-skilled and dangerous job with him. He wants to protect you. Your thoughts flash to Maeve—the girl Spencer tried so hard to protect. You wonder if he subconsciously sees her in you—someone he loves who he needs to protect.

Spencer is silent, arms still crossed in front of his body. You take hesitant steps toward him until your body is next to his, gripping his arm and lowering him onto the couch. Thighs touching, your fingers run down his forearm, letting your hand rest on the top of his.

"Spence," you whisper. "Look at me."

He lets out a slow exhale, turning his face to look at you. Your lips turn up into a small smile, relaxing a little when he returns it. Your eyes meet his, unwavering.

"Yes, I would be abandoning my plans. But this is...basically an offer I can't refuse." You trail your thumb over his cheek, letting him lean into your touch. "You can teach me everything you know."

"I can't protect you if we're on the job together," he mutters, cheek resting in your hand.

"You know Hotch won't let us out into the field together, Spence. We're a liability." You exhale slowly through your nose. "If we're out in the field together—"

"I won't be able to think about protecting the rest of the team." He smiles, running his thumb over your hand. "If someone shot at you...I'd jump in front of the bullet, even if it meant abandoning my team."

You know his sentence is an honest one, because you would do the exact same for him—without hesitation.

"You really want to work for the BAU?" Spencer's voice isn't judgmental, more curious.

"It's like a dream, Spence," you reply, squeezing his hand.

He leans in, forehead pressing against yours. He sighs, and you know he's wrestling with wanting you to be happy and his fear of something happening to you. Your happiness outweighs the latter, and he leans in, kissing you softly before pulling away.

"I want you to be happy," he confirms, moving his hand to brush through your hair.

You smile. "I'm glad you're not mad."