Threaten My Man

Kelsey walks through the door, and I'm completely unprepared for what I see. Jenny is buried under blankets, the tv is loudly playing The Notebook (now that's stereotypical), there's a sea of tissues laying all over the bed. An assortment of chocolates are on the bedside table, and Jenny...I haven't seen her like this before. 

Her nose is bright red, there are tear stains down her cheeks, her eyes look almost red. She looks, to say it bluntly, horrible. As Noah and Allie fight once again, Jenny sobs into her pillow. She blows her nose hard into the tissue. Oh, boy. This is going to be harder than I thought.

"Jenny?"

"Why are you here?"

That sounds familiar.

"I want to apologize. For mine and Brixton's-"

As the name Brixton comes out of my mouth, another sob erupts from the back of her throat. I hold out my hands, and I'm completely unsure how to handle this situation.

"Um, stop?"

Jenny gives me a sideways look.

"You've never had to do this before?"
"What?"

"Comfort a girl after a breakup?"

"Why are you crying in the first place? You weren't the one that was threatened."

"I'm crying because now I know that I have no chance."

"I thought that's why you threatened Brixton and me in the first place."

"Wow. I'm over here crying, and you just get right to it. You really haven't comforted a girl before."

"No. I never really...um...I haven't had that many girl friends, so no. And I shouldn't be having to comfort you in the first place. You were the one that forced Brixton to hurt me in order for you to be his girlfriend."

"I'm sorry."

"That's not good enough for me. You dated him, and I thank you for helping him out of a dead girlfriend's heartbreak. You were the woman that saved him from himself. I'll be eternally grateful for that, but you threatened him. You threatened the love of my life for the sake of your own selfishness."

I take a deep breath.

"I thought I was going to come here and apologize, but seeing you cry over a man that you just threatened...I can't. We could go to court. Brixton and I could've decided that, but instead we both have chosen to take a better route. You deserve love, Jenny, but the next time you threaten my man for the sake of hurting him, watch your back. I'm not here to become friends with you. I thought I was, but you almost hurt him for your own selfish values."

"It was wrong of me to do that. I was jealous of you."

"What for? You are going to find the person you belong with. I have no doubt. But holding two people back with violence because of your jealousy does nothing for you. Why?"

"You both hurt me."

"What did we do? What could we have possibly done besides date after your two were broken up? Whatever Brixton and I did, I sincerely apologize even though I have no idea what the fuck that it. I'm so sorry. Really. If you felt that we hurt you so bad that you needed to hurt us back, shit. I never would do that to someone on purpose. I know what it's like to be cheated and broken, but I would never hurt someone. No matter what. What did we do?"

"You only kissed. Maybe a few times, but that's it."

"I know I kissed him. Once in the rain, and then you two were done. A few days after maybe."