Prologue

"I'm very sorry, Mr. Urie." Brendon found it hard to breath as he sat across the doctor. Everything around him silenced, replaced by an irritable ringing in his ears. He shook his head slowly, his surroundings reluctantly coming back into focus after a minute.

"B-but you.. you said," he let out in a shaky voice. "You told me everything would be fine. You told me I would be okay." Brendon easily read the pity on Dr. Johnson's face.

"The surgery was a success, but the problem wasn't with the surgery. There was a mix up with the lab results an-" Brendon's mouth fell open.

"What kind of hospital is this? How can you even call yourself a doctor?" He felt anger burn in his chest as he listened, or tried to listen, to the man. Really everything he was being told went in one ear and out the next. He was more focused on the fact that his whole world stopped. All his plans, goals, everything, it was ripped away from him like they meant nothing.

His eyes were trained on the back of a picture frame, wondering about the picture on the other side. Who was it? Johnson's parents? Wife and kids? A boat? A picture that held no meaning to someone like Brendon was important enough to this man to have framed and proudly presented on his desk. It could signify the doctor's life, the kind of life Brendon didn't have the chance for anymore.

"How long," Brendon asked, interrupting the man across him.

"I'm sorry." Brendon a deep breath, clenching his fists to contain himself the best he could.

"How long until..." Dr. Johnson gave that stupid pity look again and it only annoyed Brendon more.

"Two years." Brendon let out a quick breath, a part of him already dying inside. He cleared his throat and straightened up in the chair. "With treatment, however, there's still a very good chance --"

"No," Brendon cut him off.

"No?"

"No treatment," Brendon breathed and turned to look up at the only man he cared to blame for all of this. The doctor just laughed until he took in Brendon's cold eyes staring daggers into him.

"Mr. Urie, it's in your best interest tha-"

"No. Treatment," Brendon repeated. Dr. Johnson just gave him a look like he was staring at a crazy person.

"In my profession opinion --"

"I don't care," Brendon's voice held more sharpness, already impatient. He couldn't stand how trapped he felt within the four walls of the office. "If that's everything, I'll be on my way."

"Mr. Urie, I strongly suggest --" Brendon stood up and nodded to the man.

"Thank you, Dr. Johnson." With that, Brendon left the room, calmly moving through the halls of hospital toward the exit. When he finally made it outside, he took a deep breath of the fresh spring air.

Looking around, he noticed how much more colorful everything looked compared to how it was before his meeting. The patch of tulips growing around the hospital looked more lively, now opened for the sun. The grass was freshly mowed, leaving a soft scent floating around the building. Fluffy white clouds lazily drifted across the baby blue sky. It was a picture perfect scene that he never took the time to appreciate before.

Brendon was never one for regrets, always took every opportunity that came to him, but standing here now, he felt himself trying to figure out why his life still felt incomplete. With his life clock now ticking in his face, he feared for the things he'd never get the chance to do. He didn't want to live with this fear of an unfulfilled life. He wasn't going to live like that. He was going to make every final moment matter.

---

A/N:

So this is a story I've been working on for a while now and I've been nervous to post it but here it is now. I hope you enjoy it.