52:\\ Heartless

Tyler

I sat in my car staring at nothing as the school bell rang, signaling the end of the day. We had one month of school left this semester and I was ready for it to be all over and for senior year to start. I needed a break. Rosemond High needed a break from the psychotic students that attended every day.

I watched as Violet and Aaron walked out of school. I hadn't seen them since Monday so it was a nice surprise that they'd attended school today. They always looked so content with each other, so happy to be around each other. Maybe they were really good friends, but maybe by now they were dating. Everyone, but Amy and I seemed to think so.

Amy, it hurt to think of her. My heart ached as I kept thinking about what was said. I hadn't spoken to her in almost three days.

I didn't mean to hurt her or redirect the importance of what she was going through. I didn't mean to make it about me. Yet I did and now here I was alone and sad. Maybe I could make things better by helping get her sister out of jail. Bailey was an odd one, but I'd never thought she'd do something as awful as murder.

A tap on my window startled me as I glanced up to be met with light brown eyes staring at me. It made me angry to see the Shirley-temple curls outside my window, knowing she was part of the problem.

She knocked again, a smile on her face as I reached over to unlock the door.

Trina quickly unlocked the door and hopped in.

"So, where're we going, space ranger?" She asked, still smiling at me.

"What do you want Trina?"

"To spend time with my soulmate. I'd like to get to know you better Tyler." She said, reaching for my hand. My mood had lifted slightly at her bubbly personality. "I told you already that you're the reason I'm still alive. I was made for you and only you. So let me learn about you and love you as I should."

"Trina, I don't know what delusion you're living in, but I'm not your soulmate, that stuff doesn't exist, and...." I began speaking but a loud scream, followed by screeching tires startled me. Multiple screams followed as I turned to look at the crosswalk in front of the school. A familiar voice screamed along with them and my heart began to race. I prayed that Amy wasn't involved.

Please God keep Amy safe.

Trina and I rushed toward the school, walking through the crowd to watch as all turned to look at Jared, laying crumpled on the floor as a strange vehicle quickly driving away with blood dripping off the front. Things were getting weirder and weirder in this town and I was genuinely afraid.

This was the second murder in just the past week, Amy had left me, and some weird supernatural shit was happening with Violet and Aaron. I wondered what kind of 2020 recreation this was. It was psychotic and hurtful. I knew Jared. We played baseball together when we were in elementary school. He was a close friend.

I shook my head, the ambulance would be here soon, maybe he could survive this. They'd catch the person who hit him and hopefully everything would be okay. I need to keep my mind clear.

"Amy!" I called, searching the crowd for her. I needed to know she was okay. She was all that mattered to me.

Violet and Aaron walked over to me, "he's alive." Aaron said, then muttering under his breath "for now." I wondered how he knew, it looked like Jared wasn't breathing.

"He's going to die by the time the ambulance gets here," Trina muttered from behind me, she didn't sound the least bit concerned.

Aaron and I and a few of our friends surrounded Jared, trying to figure out if he could consciously hear us; if he was going to stay alive. I grasped his hand holding it to my chest.

"You can't die man, please don't die. We need you! How are we going to win any games next season without you?" I said as Jared's head lolled to the side. The ambulance pulled up and Jared opened his eyes as they lifted him in.

"Please this town has been through enough in the past week. Jared can't go too." I ushered to the emergency vehicle as Stacy walked in with him. She was crying, laying her head on his chest and holding his hand tightly.

We all watched the ambulance drive away, praying for the best.

"Amy?" I looked around, she was nowhere in sight. I wondered how she was doing as I walked back toward my car with Trina tailing me like she was a dog on a leash.

"Trina, stop following me. I'm not your damn soulmate, I don't even know you. I need some space okay. Jared was one of my homies for a long time I have to go to the hospital."

"Don't bother Ty, he's already died." She said in the most monotonous voice ever.

"What the hell is wrong with you? Do you have no compassion? That's my friend. I don't care what you think. He's not dead and I need to go see him. Alone." I added, ensuring she would realize I wanted nothing to do with her. She was heartless.

"No, you can't. You can't go see him okay?" She wrapped her fingers around my arm as I quickly pulled my arm away; she flinched.

"What the hell is your problem?" We stood in the middle of the parking lot as people slowly headed to their cars. Violet and Aaron walked over to us and Violet began to cry.

She'd hardly known him, but she showed more compassion that the monotonous bitch in front of me.

"He.... he's dead. Amy just got a message from Stacy and she texted me." Violets tears streamed down her face as she walked over to hug me, "I'm so sorry Tyler I know you two were close." I hugged her back, feeling surreal. There was no way it was true. This is how I felt when I found out Kobe died in 2020. Surreal. Unimaginable. Impossible.

Before I knew it, my eyes started watering as Aaron patted my back, adding himself to our small circle. It bothered me that Amy hadn't texted me too, I wanted to know she was okay. We stood in the parking lot for what felt like hours; the weather matched our emotions and it began to rain. A soul was sent to heaven, goodbye Jared; you'll be missed and I wish I had a chance to say goodbye and spend more time with you.

Needless to say, it was a very sad day.

*Please like, comment, share, and follow me, until next chapter loves ❤️

In case you're interested in getting the totally edited/revised/changed paperback version of this book:

AMAZON PAPERBACK LINK: https://www.amazon.com/Boy-Who-Read-Minds-ebook/dp/B08RYV11F2/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=veronica+Soliman&qid=1609863783&sr=8-3

Barnes and Noble: (Link will be available in the coming weeks)

Apple Store: (Link will be available in the coming weeks)