Chapter 8 : Loving the Sky

As Xu Lian helped wrap the gift for Xiang ChangKong, he couldn't help but observe her hands. Xu Lian's hands were white and slender, with seemingly no flaws. At a glance, one could tell that these were hands that had never experienced any rough work. Thinking of the numerous times he delivered food to her, Xiang ChangKong figured that she had no need to fend for either.

(T/N: no need to fend for oneself is an idiom for living a pampered life.)

But it was this hand that made so many beautiful and delicate works. Xiang ChangKong's gaze drifted towards the shelves that held various scented candles, with one candle next to the register eventually catching his attention.

It was a spherical candle, the size of an apple, with blue skies and white clouds on it. Xiang ChangKong didn't know how the patterns of this candle were made, but the light blue and the fluffy clouds made him think of the vast and empty skies.

Xu Lian noticed him looking at the candle. She walked towards the register and picked up a candle: "This pattern is a new style I just learned. I've only just finished one for now, but I'm quite satisfied with how this turned out. I named it 'Loving the Sky'.

(T/N: Really cute, she named it called Lian Kong, get it?)

Xiang ChangKong froze for a moment, subconsciously repeating: "'Loving the Sky'?"

"Nn. In order to find a suitable fragrance, I spent a lot of time smelling many different things and mixing so many different scents." Xu Lian brought the candle towards Xiang ChangKong: "Here, smell it."

Slightly bending over, a distinctive scent wafted towards a surprised Xiang ChangKong: "The smell of the sky."

Xu Lian's lips slightly lifted, showing a rare smile. She replied: "Nn."

Xiang ChangKong gently took the candle from her hand. It was warm: "Can you sell this candle to me too?"

"Of course. Did you want me to wrap it up for you?"

Xiang ChangKong replied with a smile: "No, thank you."

Xu Lian placed his items into a paper bag with her store logo on it and also gave him a voucher, saying it was a 200 yuan discount that he could use on his next purchase. Taking the bag and the voucher, Xiang ChangKong thanked her, then left.

Xu Lian also closed the shop and left soon after, going home.

When Xiang ChangKong said that his sister's birthday was coming up, it wasn't an excuse he said to Xu Lian at the spur of the moment, his sister Xiang Nuan really was about to celebrate her birthday.

Xiang Nuan usually lived in her school dormitory and only went home during the weekends, so she had decided to celebrate her birthday this Saturday. Xiang ChangKong went out early that morning to buy food, all of them things Xiang Nuan liked to eat. On the way back, he received a call from Aunt Fan.

Aunt Fan had been in the same literary group as their mother when they were young. In the past few decades, despite growing old, they had never lost contact. He answered the call: "Aunt Fan, what's the matter?"

Aunt Fan replied: "Xiang ChangKong, Auntie is asking if you have time tomorrow, me and Aunt He wanted to come over and see your mother."

Xiang ChangKong replied: "I'm off work today. If you can come over today, we can celebrate Nuan's birthday together.
Aunt Fan gave out a cry of delight: "Today is Nuan's birthday? Well, I'll talk to Aunt He and buy a big cake for her."

Xiang ChangKong laughed: "No need, I already bought a lot of dishes. You and Aunt He can just come directly."

"No, no it's Nuan's birthday, how can there not be cake? You can be rest assured, we'll get there quickly. Nuan hasn't arrived yet, right?"