Chapter 35

Zaria's POV

"Are you ready?" Joel asked me and I nodded, staring ahead at the Iron gates of the Prison. I suggested that we came here. I needed my complete healing as Joel had said and by that, I need to face the greatest demon of them all.

I need to face Sam.

We both got down from the car and walked in through the gates. Joel motioned me along towards a man that was beckoning to us. His uncle was the commissioner of police so he helped me pull a few strings to make this happen.

I was very nervous to say the least. My heart was thumping and I was unsure of myself. I felt Joel pick up my hand and I watched him plant a kiss at the back of my palm repeatedly, a gesture that reassured me everything would be okay.

We got into the cell and I scrunched my nose as different smells hit me so I resulted to breathing with my mouth. The man took us to a room and asked us to sit before he went through another door. I looked at Joel and he was staring at me.

"Everything will be okay. Just face the demon." He whispered and I nodded.

The door opened and I looked up. A police man came in and opened the door wider. I inaudibly gulped when I saw Sam come to view. I felt Joel's hand on my thigh, reassuringly. Sam looked different. He had slimmed down and was looking malnourished, all in the space of a month. I almost pitied him.

Almost.

I gasped slightly when his eyes met mine. His lips spread in  sardonic smile.

"Well, well, well. Look who we have here. It's nice to see you again, pumpkin." He aid maliciously and I winced, gripping Joel's hand. "Oh, the boyfriend is here too. Isn't that nice? I can see we have the same taste in women." He winked at me. I saw Joel lock his jaw in anger but a smile spread across his face.

"Well, I'm not the one in blue jumpsuit and a handcuff." Joel stated simply, picking up my hand again and pressing a kiss to the back of my hand, his gaze locked on Sam's glare.

That got to him. Good.

"Are you here to gloat?" Sam asked, grimacing.

"No." I spoke up and Sam turned to me. "I'm here to let you know one thing." I added and he rose his brow in confusion. I exhaled.

"I forgive you, Sam." I declared, watching as surprise spread across Sam's face.

"What?"

"I forgive you, for the years of pain, sadness, neglect and sorrow. I forgive you for taking away my innocence." I tried my best not to cry.

"Just so you know, I'm not forgiving you for you. I'm forgiving you for me. To be free from your shackles and bondage once and for all." I chocked out, getting up from the chair. I leaned my hand on the table and moved close to Sam. He looked taken aback.

"Sam Adesola Coker. You have no power over me." I concluded sternly and walked out of the room, his priceless expression engraved in my mind.

I smiled as tears flowed from my eyes. Joel came to where I was standing and pulled me close to him. I began to sob on his chest, wrapping my hands around his torso. He sighed and stroke my hair.

"You did good, Love. You did good." He whispered soothingly.

I wasn't crying because I was sad. I was crying because I was happy...

...crying because I was finally free of that burden.

****

"So you are going to the embassy on Monday." Joel asked and I nodded. I didn't fail to notice the dejected tone in his voice. We were seated in his car, in front of my house.

🎉 You've finished reading 𝐁𝐞𝐧𝐞𝐚𝐭𝐡 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐒𝐮𝐫𝐟𝐚𝐜𝐞 (𝙱𝚃𝚂 𝙵𝙰𝙼𝙸𝙻𝚈 𝚂𝙴𝚁𝙸𝙴𝚂 #𝟷) 🎉