Chapter 6

Ayeon pressed her nose to the window as the bus drove away, the name repeating through her head.

Lee Donghyuck. The phoenix that saved her from the men that were trying to take her away.

The image of him standing there was etched into her brain as she sat on the bus. The way he stood there as the bus drove away, his hair parted showing off his eyebrow scratch, it all captivated her. The Phoenixes captivated her.

The sound of the name of her stop caught her attention, shaking her out of her thoughts. She thanked the bus driver as she got off, heading inside towards the apartment building where she lived.

Minhyung wasn't home yet so she had the apartment to herself for a bit. She cooked a quick meal, eating her late night dinner as she did some of her homework.

As she was working, she heard keys and Minhyung soon entered the apartment. He gave her a small smile.

"Got home safe?" Minhyung asked.

"Yeah, just took the bus." Ayeon told him, knowing that she shouldn't mention her encounter with Donghyuck.

"That's good. Even if you don't encounter the Phoenixes, there are a lot of Phoenix wannabes that wander the streets at night." Minhyung said as he placed his keys down.

Don't need to be told that twice.

"How was work?" Ayeon asked, trying to change the subject.

"It was good, just a regular shift. How was school, do you like it?" Minhyung asked. Ayeon nodded her head.

"I love it. I could live in the art studio." Ayeon told Mark, making him chuckle.

"That's good to hear. I'm pretty tired so I'm going to head to bed. You should probably sleep soon too." Minhyung said as he made his way to his room.

"Okay, good night Minhyung." Ayeon said, giving Minhyung a small wave. He smiled back at her.

"Good night, Ayeon."

But it wasn't a good night for her. As Ayeon laid in bed, she twisted and turned, wondering what could have possibly happened to her if Donghyuck wasn't there to save her.

...

"We're back, losers." Donghyuck said as he hung up his motorcycle helmet between Jeno and Jaemin's, Renjun leaving the empty space beside his. He looked around the bar for his friends but was only met with Jaemin.

"Where's the rest?" Renjun asked Jaemin, who has his arms crossed, leaning against an empty pool table.

"Jeno's upstairs in our room, doing things." Jaemin said, a hint of disgust in his voice. Donghyuck smirked.

"Typical Jeno. He just needs to relieve some stress." Donghyuck said, earning a look from Jaemin.

"Yeah, preferably not in our shared room with some random girl dumb enough to get with him." Jaemin retorted. Donghyuck shrugged.

"What about the other two?" Renjun asked just as the bell rang, signalling the entrance of Jisung and Chenle.

"The babies just finished a deal." Jaemin told him as Chenle hung up his helmet.

"Yah, Park Jisung, not there!" Chenle screamed at his best friend as Donghyuck's eyes widened. Jisung had almost hung up his helmet in the empty spot beside Renjun's.

"But no one ever hangs their helmet up here, it's just an empty space." Jisung argued. Donghyuck clenched his fists, holding himself back. He felt Renjun wrap his arm around his shoulder, patting his arm.