Chapter 70: Rider

Second Under,

Merriheim.

29th Mazem, 1092.

"NOOOO!" Froy flung the report against the wall where it combusted to dust. "That damned Maggot! How did he survive the hydra!?" Sweaty hands futilely tried to wipe the sweat that lined his forehead. "No, no, more importantly, what is he doing? We cannot afford the attention!"

Froy's eyes darted around the chamber in a panicked rage then rested on Aygor's hammer. He screamed as he reached for it, "If you would only give me wh- ARGH!" He yelled as his arm was blasted away, leaving it severely singed. A fire burned in his eyes as he glared at the hammer. "I will have you."

"I assume you mean Chaos will have it."

Froy whirled around in shock as he turned to the source of the voice. He paled as he retreated, unknowingly entering the hammers barrier field. A reverse shock, louder this time, flung him to the altar where the bowl was placed. He landed on his knees, shaking with fright and as a result of the barrier. "P-Prime!" Froy stammered, bowing his head immediately.

"What is happening, Froy? You assured me the maggot was dead." The voice was calm, serene, but with a hollowness that chilled the bishop's veins.

"I-I swear, he fell into Suvron's abyss," Froy managed through chattering teeth. "My brother confirmed his fall personally. He should be dead!"

"Ah, yes, your... brother." The prime made the word sound like an infectious disease. "This is his second failure, is it not?"

Froy paled as he realized the implication of that question. "Ye-yes sir, but I assure y-"

"Do not beg Froy," the prime interrupted. "It is beneath you." He paused, allowing his words to sink into the bishop's core. "Your brother's fate is sealed. He will be sacrificed to Chaos tomorrow."

Froy's breath caught in his throat. He could not beg. If he did, he would join his brother in damnation. His hands shook as he struggled to think of something, some way to remedy the situation.

"You can not save your brother." Short pause. "You can, however, seek vengeance against the man who caused his death."

Froy looked up as mist rose from the bowl. The fog condensed into a mercury-looking liquid, which then solidified into a round mirror. An image formed, and Froy seethed with rage at the daeben it depicted.

"His name is Kashi, a summoned from the daeben. The guild leader for the Hopeful Maggots. His last known location was at Meilfour."

Tears welled up in Froy's reddened eyes as he glared at the image. "I will hand-"

"Do with him as you wish. However, two accompany him of whom the Order is interested."

"Yes?"

Images of a beautiful aqua-blue haired girl and a silver-haired halben with mad eyes took form on either side of the daeben. "We do not yet know the halben's identity, but the human is a songstress called Lunette Falsetto. Last night she helped defeat Monig Ocell in the mines. I have not heard a voice as pure as that even from the gods. She must be captured."

"And the halben?"

"He uses blood magic. He slew some of our cousins in Monoch, and stole the 'Book of the Dmaned.' Capture or kill him, but the book must be retrieved at all costs."

"Yes, Sir."

"Contain your fury Froy, that you might unleash your wrath on our enemies."

Froy stiffly shook his head. "For the return of chaos."