book 2 - chapter 2

"I'm still not used to being around this much snow." Iroh comments as we're walking around the Tribe. He's been staying here with us for a few days, and it's been the absolute best. Words can't describe how much I needed a friend during this time. I don't know how I would've managed without him.

I chuckle and turn to look up at him. "Well, when I went to your birthday at the Fire Nation I couldn't fathom that there wasn't an inch of snow."

He smiles at my words and looks up ahead, admiring the road ahead of us. "You have a good point there. I can't imagine how shocking that was for you." Iroh notes with a slight laugh.

"It was pretty shocking. I couldn't stop interrogating Gran-Gran about the lack of snow in the Fire Nation." I inform him. Then, I go faster than him by a few steps, and turn to face him whilst walking backwards. "So, what do you want to do today? We could go penguin sledding!"

Iroh turns to meet my eyes and raises an eyebrow. "Didn't you say that Korra and your friends from Republic City are coming in today? For the festival?"

Realization hits me and the fact that they're all coming back today. I haven't seem them in a little over a month. Despite the fact that I should be pretty excited to see all of them, and a part of me truly is, I am not looking forward to seeing Mako and Korra being all couple-y. I mean, I'm happy for them and everything, but I also don't feel like having their relationship flaunted at me.

I turn my body to be walking back by Iroh's side. I look down and begin fiddling with my thumbs. "That's right." I respond, struggling to hide the anxiety in my voice. "They should already be on their way here."

"You sound more disappointed than excited." Iroh notes, looking at me with concern.

"It's nothing." I immediately dismiss. "It's just, I haven't seem them in a while. I feel like it's going to be weird or something, you know?"

Iroh grabs my hand. "It's only going to be weird if you make it weird." He assures me. "Besides, I'm here. You won't be alone."

"Thank you, Iroh." I sincerely say. "You have no idea how much it means to me that you're here."

"Anytime, Luna. I'll always be here for you." He assures me. "So, how long until they get here? I'm kind of curious about the penguin sledding thing."

A wide smile appears on my face. "You're going to love it. Come on!"

Gran-Gran, my mother, Iroh, and I are standing in the docks by the outskirts of the Tribe, waiting for my friends and family's arrival for the festival. My mom and I are still not in speaking terms, per se. It hurts me a lot to only talk to her when I need her to pass something at the dinner table or when I tell her that I'm going out for a walk, instead of talking about everything like we used to.

But things aren't like they used to be anymore. I can't go back to not knowing about Tahana. I can't go back to a life where ignorance is bliss.

Because I know now that it isn't.

"Gran-Gran!" I hear my cousins exclaim as they run towards my grandmother's arms. I look up to see everyone coming off the ship. Uncle Tenzin, Aunt Pema with baby Rohan in her arms, Bolin, Asami, Mako, and Korra.

Gran-Gran's eyes water at the sight of her grandchildren. "Oh, you've all gotten so big!"

Jinora turns to my mom and hugs her tightly. "We missed you Aunt Kya!"

I roll my eyes unintentionally, which causes Iroh to nudge me. When I look up to him, he's laughing at me. "Something funny, Iroh?" I tease.

He shakes his head as he continues to laugh. "You're just very sassy."