Chapter 8 [Last]

When a heavy burden is lifted off your shoulders you are finally able to breath. To think straight. To think without any second thoughts. That's what she was feeling right now. The happenings of last night were fresh in her mind. How he cleared the air about Seemab. She was feeling ashamed on assuming so much all by herself. She still had her fears and baggage but one thing was sure. He had loved her sincerely. His distance too was just to make sure she was away from his wrath. He was truly sorry for what happened. What he could've stopped from happening.

This love wasn't easy but as he had said, it was going to stand the test of time. And after a long time she wanted it to.

-------

"For the love of god I'll be fine. Why are you making a racket out of nothing?"

Waniya's irritated voice made him sigh. They had an appointment with her doctor today but at the last moment, an emergency at office came up which needed his attention. He was about to refuse Taimoor but Waniya literally pushed him towards the door asking him to take care of his business first.

"Waniya, I can't let you go alone."

"What am I? a five year old? I'm giving birth in about four months now. I can handle a doctor appointment on my own."

He sighed still not convinced which made her roll her eyes. His protectiveness was irking her but it was soothing in its own way. What she'd do with this always caring husband of hers?

"Ahmer your dad has just called. He needs you in the office right now."

Yumna entered their room holding her phone.

"I know, Mom. But I need to take Waniya to her gynecologist."

Yumna looked between both Ahmer and Waniya. In past few months, there had been no attempts from Waniya's side to change the shattered equation between her and Yumna. She hadn't tried to clear the air or make Yumna see sense. She had just kept her distance. Not coming in Yumna's way, never initiating a conversation with her, never telling her more than what was required. Ahmer was a son. He still was unhappy about how Yumna had treated Waniya but he hadn't completely cut her off like Waniya did. This should've enraged Yumna, seeing Waniya's audacity. But it only made her regret whatever she had done after Alishba's situation came into their knowledge. She could've operated in a better way. Could've been a little less harsh towards her own son's happiness and the woman he loved. The regret was slowly seeping through Yumna. There was no person in this house who hadn't called her out on her behavior. Ahsan, Alishba, Mrs Daud. All of them had sided with Waniya and this had made Yumna see through her faults. She was ashamed and wanted to mend things to some extent. But Waniya wasn't giving her any chance.

"I can accompany her."

Both Ahmer and Waniya's heads shot up in her direction. That was the first time she was showing any kind if interest in Waniya's wellbeing and this was surprising for both of them.

"If only she doesn't mind."

Yumna gestured towards Waniya who nodded slowly making Ahmer sigh in relief. "This is settled then. Thanks a lot, mom."

He knew his mother wanted things settled. He wasn't ignorant of the way Yumna used to look his and Waniya's way with many unsaid emotions. As if trying to reach out. May be this was the chance to do that.

Ahmer picked his laptop and giving a goodbye nod to both Yumna and Waniya, rushed downstairs.

An awkward silence engulfed the room and the two people standing in it. Waniya looked up when Yumna spoke.

"I'll call the driver to take the car out."

Waniya nodded and taking up her file followed Yumna out of the room.