Chapter 26: Searching

"We only have 10 weeks to find a couple. That's two months until he's here, and he can come early. We have to start looking, Colby." I continue looking through the pamphlets I have as Colby sits in my spinning chair on his phone.

He groans and stands up, sitting on my bed next to me as he takes the files. I've been looking but I still haven't came in contact with anybody. I haven't found a couple yet that I feel would be best for him.

"Okay, what about these people? They are in their mid-thirties. They have two other children that were adopted. The wife is a pediatric surgeon and the husband is a police officer." He shows me the file, which had a picture of the family with multiple different descriptions. I press my lips together and read over it myself. Again, I felt nothing. I need to feel a connection. It needs to be perfect.

"No." I tell him, turning back to the page I was reading.

He rolls his eyes and flips to another folder. He just doesn't understand. I can't hand him over to just anybody. I need to see them and automatically know they're the ones.

"Just give me the folders." I sigh. He hands me them and I start flipping through. Then, my eyes land on one couple. I instantly know I want to meet them just by their picture.

It's two women, one with red curly hair and bright eyes, the other with long black hair, matching her beautiful Asian features. I smile as I start reading it. Both work as teachers at a local school, one is a third grade teacher and the other is fifth. They have been married for five years and after discussing they're options, they decided adoption.

"Colby, look at this one." I hand him the files and he reads over it.

"You sure?" He asks. I smile and nod my head.

"Alright, lets just talk to your parents and then we can call them." Colby smiles and kisses my head.

"Mara, foods ready!" Rya yells from the hallway.

I get up and Colby and I both go downstairs. I see my family already at the table.

"I should get going." Colby tells them at I make my plate.

"No no, sit down. Stay for dinner there's plenty to go around." My mom laughs.

"I don't know, I have to get back home. I don't want to get there too late." Colby tells her apologetically.

"Don't worry about it. Just call your mom and tell her I said it was fine for you to stay the night. I'm sure Amara won't mind sharing a blanket and pillow." Mom smiles I him. I shoot her a look, pleading no, my dad does the same. I didn't want to spend more time with him that I didn't have to.

"Um, sure." Colby scratches the back of his neck. I give him a small smile and hand him a plate with spaghetti. I sigh as we both sit down.

"So, when will I be able to meet your parents? I'd love to."

"Mom," I whisper harshly.

She doesn't know the story. But, I don't want Colby to have to explain it.

"It's fine," Colby says pressing his lips together looking at me. "My dad actually left when I was 10. My mom kicked me out a couple weeks ago." Colby looks down at his plate to avoid the stares.

"Oh," my mom says sadly, "I'm sorry to hear that. You always have a place here. You're family now."

It stays silent before Rya finally starts to talk about her day. I drown out her words and focus on Colby, who was trying to listen. I could tell he was uncomfortable. He glances at me and smiles, telling me he was okay.